community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] BBC E-mail: Amnesty for Russia's net pirates

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Ram Samudrala <ram AT zen.compbio.washington.edu>
  • To: Erik.Sliman AT OpenStandards.net
  • Cc: tompoe AT renonevada.net, DMCA_discuss AT lists.microshaft.org, community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org ('CommStudios')
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] BBC E-mail: Amnesty for Russia's net pirates
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 22:28:28 -0700 (PDT)

A bit offtopic, but I recommend checking out Frank Zappa's Joe's
Garage. I quote:

Based on the principle that if we were all crooks, we could at last
be uniform to some degree in the eyes of THE LAW... Once we had
all broken some kind of law, we'd all be in the same big happy
club. ---Frank Zappa

TOTAL CRIMINALIZATION was the greatest idea of its time and was
vastly popular except with those people who didn't want to be
crooks or outlaws. So, of course, they had to be TRICKED INTO
IT... which is one of the reasons why MUSIC was eventually made
ILLEGAL. ---Frank Zappa

As John Perry Barlow wrote:

"The greatest constraint on your future liberties may come not from
government but from corporate legal departments laboring to protect
by force what can no longer be protected by practical efficiency or
general social consent." --John Perry Barlow, The Economy of Ideas

--Ram

Erik Sliman wrote:

>The problem with this theory (homemade computer that can "circumvent") is
>that they can felonize citizens for such activity. It used to be in the
>1970s that a felon was thought of as murderer, rapist, bank robber, or high
>level violent criminal. Does anyone remember those days?

[...]