community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] BBC E-mail: Amnesty for Russia's net pirates

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: DMCA_discuss AT lists.microshaft.org
  • Cc: "CommStudios" <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Ram" <ram AT zen.compbio.washington.edu>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] BBC E-mail: Amnesty for Russia's net pirates
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 15:02:02 -0700

On Saturday 25 May 2002 14:19, Richard Stallman wrote:
- - -snip - - -
> Meanwhile, I have heard that Russia is passing a law like the DMCA.
> Is that true? That would probably wipe out the Elcomsoft software
> product that Sklyarov was arrested for, as a commercial product.
> Before that happens, Elcomsoft might think about releasing that as
> free software under the GPL. Then the source code can be kept
> available in such countries that do not allow the publishers to
> restrict technology, and other people can maintain it and port it to
> other systems.

Hi: Richard points out something that should formally be presented to each
"target" of the DMCA. If they're going to take them down, release the
software by GPL'ing it. It will shorten the curve for the next generation.
Even when/if they take the Internet away, and censor who might have access,
there will be other such communications networks established to replace.
And, as one Slashdotter commented, building a computer from scratch needs
only access to "Radio Shack" level resources. I thought that was an
interesting point.
Thanks,
Tom
http://www.studioforrecording.org/