community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Re: Request for critique of a MS

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tompoe <tompoe AT aether.raven.cxm>
  • To: <seul-edu AT seul.org>
  • Cc: <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <renotahoe-pm AT pm.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Re: Request for critique of a MS
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 11:17:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi: Well, good points, all. There's probably a school of thought out
there, that using Microsoft's arrogance/incompetence to accomplish the
desired goal of informing the decision-makers in our education system is
just exactly the way to go. If successful in such a pursuit, that success
will carry over to our elected officials. Maybe?
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/
http://renotahoe.pm.org/

On Sat, 4 May 2002 dinotrac AT mail.ifip.com wrote:

> Of course, I sent a follow-up correction. It's Rule 11! The brain
> gets bad as one gets older.
>
> You can't really provoke a Rule 11 violation. You have to count on
> the arrogance/incompetence of the other side. Also, courts are
> reluctant to grant Rule 11 damages. I'm lucky enough to be in the 7th
> circuit, where they a) have some of the very best judges in the
> Federal Judiciary, and b) take Rule 11 seriously.
>
> The thorny part is that you satisfy Rule 11 requirements if your
> argument is a reasonable extension of existing law, and that gives
> lots of room for lawyers to wiggle. Not infinite room, but room. I
> managed to win Rule 133 (or was that 139) damages at the Illinois
> state level once, but such a victory is even rarer in the state court
> than the Federal.
>
> That said, the real problem is that Microsoft's lawyers would never be
> stupid enough to actually prosecute on the basis of removing the
> preinstalled OS. It's comforting sometimes to think that Microsofties
> are stupid, but they're not. Vicious, yes. Stupid, no.
>
> Dean

  • [Community_studios] Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Re: Request for critique of a MS, tompoe, 05/04/2002