community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Re: Request for critique of a MS rebuttal]

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tompoe <tompoe AT aether.raven.cxm>
  • To: <seul-edu AT seul.org>
  • Cc: <dinotrac AT dinotrac.com>, <renotahoe-pm AT pm.org>, <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Re: Request for critique of a MS rebuttal]
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 10:04:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi: To get to that point, we need to create or align with an organization
that has an interest in doing so. For example, Walmart went against the
tide, braced, I am sure, for action from M$ on the issue of selling "naked
PC's". When the rest of the industry follows, which will surely happen,
as linux becomes accepted for it's ability to be utilized by the "masses"
without question or hesitation, M$ will have to step up and try to squelch
it. In the case of schools seriously considering using linux, we have M$
going after the source, i.e., Donated Equipment.

Thus, the organization that has an interest in doing so, must logically be
residing in the Open Source, and nonprofit sector. Studio For Recording,
Inc., when successful in it's application for 501(c)(3) status, is ideally
positioned to take on this role. The primary reason for this, lies with
the organization's independence of M$, the anticipation of providing
large-scale community-based education programs tied to local school
districts, and logically, thereby, providing resources for obtaining
significant numbers of donated computers for the various networks.

However, this is all a pipe-dream at this time. RedHat, Inc., is ready and
positioned to take on this role. SuSE, Inc., is ready and positioned to
take on this role. As are other such organizations. I think we should move
forward with the official response, and then pursue other leveraged
actions designed to inform the General Public. The official response acts
as a vehicle for moving forward. And, in my opinion, a demo for schools
to play with, represents an even more important accomplishment, as the ISO
developed here, in the near future will make it possible to engage an
all-out assault by providing a uniform approach for LUG's and other Users'
Groups to ramp up, and get those demos in front of schools.
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/
http://renotahoe.pm.org/

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Leon Brooks wrote:

> On Saturday 04 May 2002 06:20, Douglas Loss wrote:

  • [Community_studios] Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Re: Request for critique of a MS rebuttal], tompoe, 05/04/2002