community_studios - [Community_studios] Keep on doing great things !!!

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: DeBug <debug AT centras.lt>
  • To: community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Keep on doing great things !!!
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:43:54 +0200

I am on the list for a while and keep an eye on what is being done
Two things startled me to post to the mailing list

1) I liked the idea of running open software on windows platform.
It may be hard to install linux when there is no linux gurus around
and when internet costs alot of money.

2) Today I wanted to get some archives of radio-amateurs' "Radio" magazine
and did not find it on the official site, but after some ftp search
i did find a lot of *.djvu files voluntarily created by magazine readers.
What a dissapoinntment that djvu is not an open format...

P.S.
In countries like Lithuania (where i come from) windows and other
closed/proprietary software has become very popular because
of high level piracy. Now it has become a problem to move
to open software simply because people get used to what they have

I think it is common tactics to get new markets by allowing
piracy in the beginning and later ripping off the harvest

--
Best regards,
DeBug mailto:debug AT centras.lt