community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: Introduction

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: Ram Samudrala <ram AT zen.compbio.washington.edu>
  • Cc: "CommStudios" <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: Introduction
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 17:31:20 -0800

On Monday 01 April 2002 02:13, Ram Samudrala wrote:
- - -snip - - -
> Okay, I definitely have some views on this regard. I do have a
> personal aversion to licenses in general (in fact, the whole notion of
> public domain and licenses I think are orthogonal to each other), but
> I've also been involved in the creation of a few of them.

I think there are many who would agree. So, let's pose the question, what
are the options? If not a license, then what? Is there some other vehicle
that will ensure the placement of a musical work in the Public Domain, and
have it available to all for all time?

> >2] Once you have reviewed the information in the binder, and, if you
> >think it would be appropriate, I would like your assistance in
> >connecting with the Chairperson of the Music Dept at the university.
>
> Why not? I can give it a shot and maybe they'd listen to another
> faculty member. I think it may be worth contacting people at places
> like the Experience Music Project, which do have some interesting
> community-oriented endeavours (for example, a radio station without
> commercials supported by donations). Though given how the creators
> made money, we might not have a receptive audience.

Nope. Not interested. Studio For Recording, Inc., creators will not make
money, but any project that intends to line the pockets of the University is
rejected outright. The university must have the opportunity to champion a
community-based recording studio, but will not generate revenues from it.
The only option available to them is the offer to take the lead role, thus
the "goodwill" generated by such a position, and integrate their projects as
appropriate for such an entity. If they decide to create a recording studio
based on the model, but then modify it to generate funds for the university
instead of the recording studio, a second studio will be initiated elsewhere
in the community, for those not served by the first. So, bottom line, not a
problem. When you do contact the Chairman of the Department, it will simply
be to introduce the idea, and inquire as to whether something like this is of
interest. If not, eventually there will be an individual, or group in the
Seattle area that will want to do it.

If you would kindly send a mini-bio of yourself, I will use it to generate a
brief statement on our web page [P.S. anytime you want to set up permissions
to edit or add to the web pages, let me know], and will also use it to
generate material for our 501(c)(3) application in May. You can use any
format that is comfortable for you.
Thanks,
Tom