community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: Introduction

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: Ram Samudrala <ram AT zen.compbio.washington.edu>
  • Cc: "Christopher" <mightyfee AT cox.net>, "CommStudios" <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Don" <msvicky AT warwick.net>, "Mark Glines" <mark AT glines.org>, "Molly VanHouweling" <MSVanHou AT law.stanford.edu>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: Introduction
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:36:09 -0800

On Friday 29 March 2002 23:32, Ram Samudrala wrote:
> Hi, I didn't author the article on ASCAP and BMI, but I'm the author
> of the Free Music Philosophy and have written several texts about
> intellectual property and music:
>
> http://www.ram.org/ramblings/philosophy/fmp/freemusic.html
>
> many of which have been published and referenced worldwide.
>
> I'd be happy to help you in any way I can and publise your
> efforts. For starts, I'll add you in my Free Music Advocacy and my
> Musicians Across the Internet pages.
>
> I think what you're doing is excellent!
>
> --Ram

Hi: Welcome aboard. Please consider signing up for the mail list.
This will keep you posted [low traffic].

I would like to start by sending you a loose-leaf binder. Each quarter,
you'll receive updated information and can insert the edited pages, and added
information to the binder.

1] I would like to target you for participation on our Board Committee that
will be focusing on intellectual property as it relates to licensing options
for placing works in the Public Domain in such a way as to counter the
present system's efforts to keep control of all music [ e.g., maintaining
some 40 arrangements of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" ]. The committee will
collaborate with the Creative Commons Project [ see
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/ ] as well as utilizing other resources.

2] Once you have reviewed the information in the binder, and, if you think it
would be appropriate, I would like your assistance in connecting with the
Chairperson of the Music Dept at the university. It is my guess, that this
individual would have an interest in seeing how this model fits with the work
they do, and the programs they pursue. The goal will be to gain the support
of the university to move forward with a community-based recording studio,
either on their own, or with our participation [ the grunt work ] to put the
infrastructure in place to build community programs that benefit both the
university and the community-at-large. I have initiated a similar approach
with the University of Nevada-Reno, and would make our local resources
available to your university folks as well.

Let us know what you think about these two fun-filled adventures!
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/

P.S. I'm presently working through O'Reilly's book, "Beginning Perl for
Bioinformatics", by A. Tisdall. Your work is indeed interesting, I think.

  • [Community_studios] Re: Introduction, tom poe, 03/30/2002