community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: Studio for Recording feedback

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT gondwanaland.com>
  • Cc: "CommStudios" <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: Studio for Recording feedback
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 18:11:00 -0800

On Friday 29 March 2002 17:12, you wrote:
- - -snip - - -
> * The first url I visited is the repository page at ibiblio. From this
> page it was very unlcear what SFR is about. An mp3.com for public
> domain works perhaps? It wasn't until I finally noticed that the link
> at the bottom of the page to studioforrecording.org pointed to a
> completely different set of pages that I realized that SFR is primarily
> about creating recording studios, and that the name is appropriate after
> all. This ought to be made clear on the ibiblio page, or at least the
> link to the SFR domain should be more prominent. It is easy to be
> fooled into thinking that the ibiblio page and the SFR domain page are
> actually the same, as they sport the same look. Yes, if you read the
> text, you'll notice they aren't the same probably, but the people have
> short attention spans on the web, including me I guess.

Will do. thanks for the input.

> * I don't know whether any of the radio stations you listed in the plan
> rationale are "community" stations (i.e., primarily community funded,
> not NPR drones, my sentimental favorite being WEFT in Champaign, IL
> where I went to school), but these would seem to be excellent partners.
> Very grassroots and activist, run almost entirely by volunteers, some
> with lots of technical experience. I suspect these volunteers might
> actually be of more use than volunteers from the average LUG.

Yes. You're exactly right. And, they are an excellent resource which will
play a prominent role as the project matures.

> Also, the company I am a cofounder of <http://bitzi.com> is very
> interested in helping to promote works that artists _want_ to distribute
> over the net for free (and public domain is our favorite license, it's
> what we're using for our small client application, see
> <http://bitcollider.sf.net>). Maybe at some point there will be an
> opportunity for collaboration...

Absolutely.

> Finally on a personal note, I see that you're in Reno, Nevada. That's
> cool. I'm temporarily in Japan, but I live in San Francisco, though I'm
> looking to move, and Reno is a prime candidate. Many of my friends
> consider Reno a depressing place one only ventures to if there's no
> space available around Tahoe, but I actually like the biggest little
> city in the world. Anyplace with a combined main library/spider plant
> "conservatory" rules in my book.

It has pretty good weather, is only 5/7 miles, so commuting is eliminated
from stress level. Tahoe is less than an hour's drive, which is nice.

> Good luck!
>
> Mike Linksvayer
> http://gondwanaland.com/ml/

I'll forward this to the list, and, if you want, join and keep up to date on
activity. Our station [KUNR] got hit pretty hard by CARP, and
studioforrecording.org may be of some interest to them. First, though, the
Reno Jazz Festival has to run its course [coming up soon].
Thanks, Tom

  • [Community_studios] Re: Studio for Recording feedback, tom poe, 03/29/2002