commons-research - [Commons-research] Research Program and Wiki up!

commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Giorgos Cheliotis <gcheliotis.lists AT gmail.com>
  • To: commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Commons-research] Research Program and Wiki up!
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 04:39:36 +0800

Hello to everyone on the list,

I'm happy to announce that we finally have a detailed version of the research program of the isummit posted online, in the form of a simple wiki at: http://commonsresearch.wikidot.com

One cool feature, and rather unusual for an academic-style event is that every uploaded paper/abstract can be commented on (you may need to create an account first at wikidot). So, with reviews, and the possibility to comment on papers, and this mailing list we have in effect started the summit already a month before we meet in Sapporo and I hope that we will keep this up even after Sapporo.

Please do take a look at it and feel free to comment, make suggestions, etc. (though at this stage it is too late to make any major changes).

We received 29 submissions for research presentations and each submission was reviewed by at least 3 reviewers, sometimes more! So the total was about 90 reviews written in a rather short amount of time. Of course we're talking about extended abstracts here so reviews were sometimes very short, but this is still quite an achievement I believe. After careful consideration of the review results and other factors (having a good mix of presentations, diversity, inclusion, expected interest) we decided among the chairs to accept 16 papers for presentation (55% acceptance rate) and another 5 for posters.

Generally many papers received favorable reviews, even if some reviews were quite critical, so we opted for a model of maximum inclusion, where we want to give everyone with a sufficiently interesting submission a chance to present their work. The inevitable downside is that the research track will dedicate a fair amount of time to traditional "academic" presentations, but we have made space for a 1- hour speedgeeking session and a 1.5 hour open discussion on setting a commons research agenda. Also, all participants will naturally be able to mingle with every other isummit participant during breaks, social events, etc, so overall there should be a fair balance between ad-hoc participation and structured presentations.

I will follow up with some more emails on specific aspects of the isummit research program.

Giorgos

  • [Commons-research] Research Program and Wiki up!, Giorgos Cheliotis, 06/26/2008