commons-research - Re: [Commons-research] Story for the iCommons annual

commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Wojciech Gryc" <wojciech AT gmail.com>
  • To: commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Commons-research] Story for the iCommons annual
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 01:23:46 -0400

Hi Giorgos,

One of the things I've been helping with at IBM Research is how we can use diverse (and often freely available) data sets to train our machine learning models to categorize data that the models haven't been exposed to before.

A simple overview: get data of labeled movie reviews from a free and open data set, and train it to decide where a comment is "positive" or "negative" about a certain topic. Then apply the model to a discussion on a software brand and see if we can improve the model by using completely different data sets.

How does this relate to CC? Well, there's a great deal of freely available data out there, and we can use it to build these models. Usually it's not as simple as the two steps above, but the challenge of using a large collection of diverse data sets to improve work in a specific field is interesting, and can definitely be helped through mathematical / algorithmic research as well as groups like CC and iCommons.

If you want more information or more specific quotes, do let me know.

Thanks,
Wojciech