commons-research - Re: [Commons-research] Table comparing Yahoo and Google's commons-basedadvanced search options

commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Commons-research] Table comparing Yahoo and Google's commons-basedadvanced search options
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:30:52 -0700

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:04 PM, Giorgos Cheliotis <giorgos AT smu.edu.sg> wrote:
> Ben, great post, I'd like to see more research-oriented posts on this list,
> which has so far been mostly dedicated to the planning of the isummit
> workshop. A quick comment: I would be careful with generalizing when what
> you have is limited examples of specific pages in Australia. Your approach
> I believe has some merit and we do want to know what different CC search
> /backlink search methods can capture, but again, as I said, one should be
> careful about making general statements like " Yahoo ignores the majority of
> CC licenses". The statement may be correct after all, and I have made some
> similar arguments in the past, though using a different logic, but is the
> fact that some AU pages do not show up sufficient proof of this? It would be
> interesting to hear Mike's perspective on this as well.

As far as I know (just a little bit of testing like Ben's and
hearsay), Ben is correct about Yahoo. Of course "majority of licenses"
!= "majority of licensed works".

It would be nice to have a largish "test suite" of URLs using
different licenses and annotations to enable better independent
assessment of search engine support for CC and detection of changes in
that support.

Mike