chtechcomm - [Chtechcomm] New Town Web Site

chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Chapel Hill Technology Advisory Committee

  • From: "Steve Irving" <wsirving AT morgancreek.net>
  • To: "Bob Avery" <ravery AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • Cc: 'Chapel Hill Information Technology Advisory Committee' <chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org>, ggerdau AT intelor.com
  • Subject: [Chtechcomm] New Town Web Site
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:05:21 -0400

Bob,

Congratulations!!

Whatever work remains to be done, you and your staff have made great strides on this project and your efforts are appreciated.

A few comments and observations …

On the Technology Committee page (http://www.townofchapelhill.org/index.asp?NID=44):

The updated roster is nice to see. (Am I the only one surprised to see that we have a vacancy?? Maybe that’s what I get for missing a meeting and I should be glad it’s not my seat.)

The agenda link does not work, as Gregg has already noted. Also, the generic naming of this link (/ABC/agendas/technologyagenda.htm) makes me wonder whether we will be able to maintain (or ever have maintained) historical agendas for future reference, online search and other purposes.

It is also nice to see the “Enabling Legislation” section at the bottom of the page, but the link to Resolution 98-3-23/R15 goes to the 98-4-6 Council minutes, in which one must search for Resolution 98-4-6/R-10 to find the origin of our current incarnation. I could not locate a Resolution 98-3-23/R-15 anywhere.

Regarding News Releases (http://townofchapelhill.org/index.asp?NID=671):

There appear to be only very recent news releases on the site. Is there a plan to bring forward historical information or to forward old links to their new address?? I encountered this when trying to link from the Orange Politics discussion of the web site makeover to the original news release earlier this year. The old link is www.townofchapelhill.org/news/2004-05/websitemakeover.htm

Regarding the search function:

Both standard and advanced searches for “wireless” return no results, yet this word appears in the strategic plan presented to Council on March 23, 2005. Could this be because the Council agendas and their attachments are on the “townhall” server??

Congratulations, again, and I hope the Town will find a way to publicize this development and generate some citizen interest as well. Perhaps in this Sunday’s TownWeek feature??

Regards,

Steve