chpac-staff - Re: [Chpac-staff] CHPAC mtg. followup

  • From: Dan Cefalo <cefalobuilt AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jeff York <jyork AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • Cc: "chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org" <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Chpac-staff] CHPAC mtg. followup
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 13:47:38 -0400

To All and my apologies to Peter,

Although Peter could not make the meeting, Jeff and I received his contribution to committee suggestions.

Peter says it best:

 "We don’t do as much right now around encouraging people to actively participate in creative activity (other than the community clay studio, which is a great thing). I think we ought to do more with that.

Along those lines, one reason that I think people don’t participate as actively in art is that there’s pressure for people, even for kids, to spend their time doing the things that are going to be useful to them for college or for their work lives. There’s so much focus out there on math, science, and technology, that people who are more naturally inclined towards artistic or creative fields may not ever see what types of opportunities exist for study or careers in the arts. I think showing people that being involved in artistic activities can help you academically or professionally (i.e. that it’s not a waste of time) could only help encourage people to participate.  Based on that, I’d be interested in pulling together a group of people who do actually work “in the arts” and getting them to talk about what they do, how they got there, and how their arts backgrounds relate to what they do now (as an example, a friend of mine was trained as a painter at SCAD and now works as a video game graphics designer for a major game company – I think of him as working in the arts). I’ve been trying to think about how this would be presented, format-wise. I’m still tossing that around, but have recently thought that it might work best as a short, 5-10 min, web video (think an extended advertisement for careers in the arts) that could be posted online and offered to art teachers in the school system as something they might show their classes. Just looking for a simple way to remind people, especially kids, that there are lots of ways to get value out of the time they spend making art."

I would love to get feedback on what all of you see this as in the form of a committee or an action.  This may even end up as an addition to our Art Plan,  Please comment

Thanks
 DAN CEFALO
Certified General Contractor
Building Consultant
Development Consultant

Direct-  919.889.2215
Email-   cefalobuilt AT gmail.com

This e-mail, and any attachment, may contain privileged or confidential information which is intended solely for the designated recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended addressee/recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of this information is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by reply email advising of the error in transmission and immediately delete/destroy the e-mail message and any accompanying documents.