chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] FW: Tobacco Road

  • From: Jeff York <jyork AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: "chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org" <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] FW: Tobacco Road
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:49:39 -0500

Commissioners,  attached are images from the 54 west photo murals hung on the inside of a private sports bar.  In order for them to remain,  the CDC and CHPAC need to weigh in if they are signage or art?  At current, those are the only two categories Planning has for such items.  Perhaps there needs to be another category, which I am sure we will want to discuss.  Also below is the CH sign ordinance for your reference.  At our December meeting, CHPAC will conduct a courtesy review and be asked to comment on these photo murals.  Prior to the meeting,  I would like you to review the murals and let me know if there are concerns with these items being classified for regulation purposes as art.  It is not this commission’s duty to rule if any of the sign ordinance specifics have been violated (size, location, etc.);  CDC will do that, but we should discuss what constitutes a mural.  As always a courtesy review carries no binding enforcement, but in this case,  I am sure the commission’s comments will matter.  Please call me if you have any questions.  Happy Thanksgiving to all.   Jy

Jeffrey York
Public & Cultural Arts Administrator
Division of Public andt Cultural Arts
Parks & Recreation Department