chpac-staff - Re: [Chpac-staff] reminder

  • From: zkohn <zkohn AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: Alexander McSpadden <amcspadden AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Chpac-staff] reminder
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:15:17 -0400

Hello all,

I also agree with both Enid that we should allow more wiggle room for
people who do not live in the town limits and I believe reserving 4 spots
is a good suggestion. As noted in the meeting, our organization's mission
is unique in that it involves trying to bring the greater triangle
community to visit our Arts District. Furthermore, the suggestion does not
obligate us to put people who do not live in the town limits on a board, it
simply allows the "wiggle room" to add more applicants who feel connected
to Chapel Hill's Public Art scene, but as a geographic techicality cannot
serve on our board. Both CHPAC and the town council would still have the
authority to do deny applicants who appear to have too tenuous a
relationship with the town.

Additionally, I like Alexander's idea that we should reserve a seat for a
full-time artist. While I am aware that several of us, including myself,
come from artistic backgrounds, I think it would be highly beneficial if we
had someone who depends on his/her art as their primary source of income.
This person will have the best understanding of the needs and concerns of
the artists that we work with. Furthermore, I am interested in hearing from
other commissioners how they feel about seeking a diversity of artistic
backgrounds. As mentioned in the last meeting by a prospective member, it
appears many of our projects were focusing on visual arts. Would it be a
good idea in the interest of diversity to encourage more people from
performance arts backgrounds to join?

I am also interested in thoughts and ideas about reserving other seats for
either geographic needs (such as reserving a seat for someone from
Carrboro), or other professional needs (reserving a seat for an architect,
or perhaps a lawyer to help with negotiating contracts). I would like to
know if Carrboro's Public Arts Council reserves seats for people who reside
in CH or for an artist. Furthermore, I would like to know if other members
think it's a good idea to reserve seats for certain positions, or is it
better just to address in our mission statement that we have a desire to
seek members with diverse backgrounds including artistic, architectural,
geographic, legal, etc.

I look forward to hearing from you all and discussing these issues in the
upcoming September meeting.

Best,

Zachary Kohn

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 17:54:24 -0400, Alexander McSpadden
<amcspadden AT gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with Enid. I believe that we should push for 4 of the 11 slots to
> have some more flexibility. Also, we should look to see if it was
possible
> to designate a slot for an working artist or art curator.
>
> Alexander
>

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:27 PM, enid handler <enidh AT embarqmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> As you likely noted Nancy, I have already replied. My notes did not
>> adhere to the “maximum 3 slots”
>> because I would prefer to go in with a request that meets the majority
>> rule
>> of fewer than one half the
>> slots for out of town residents. That leaves some wiggle room for
perhaps
>> 4
>> of the 11 slots. I believe
>> we should have a wider base of potential people available to us.

nancy.kitterman AT scientificproperties.com<firstname.lastname AT scientificproperties.com>