chpac-staff - Re: [Chpac-staff] Loeb report

  • From: Amanda Miller <amandamiller721 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jeff York <jyork AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • Cc: "hkhacha AT ncsu.edu" <hkhacha AT ncsu.edu>, "chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org" <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Mark Kleinschmidt <markkleinschmidt AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Chpac-staff] Loeb report
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 10:06:37 -0500

Excellent work Jeff!

I had also mentioned some other models and resources that we might want to explore here in Chapel Hill, in particular the Cultural Data Project operated by Pew Charitable Trust and online registries of artists. Chapel Hill could definitely use these models moving forward, not sure if there is a new section that could be added in the report, might be helpful information for the "next steps" section.

I have also attached a recent publication from Arabella Investment Advisors. This reading provides great information on the funder's perspective on how to maximize grantmaking dollars (helpful when thinking about catalytic grantmaking).

Hope this information can be useful. Looking forward to taking action.
Best,
Amanda

Models of online artist registries

1. MN Artists
online database of Minnesota artists and organizations
http://www.mnartists.org
2. Brooklyn Art Council registry
online registry of Brooklyn-baed artists and arts organizations
http://www.brooklynartscouncil.org
3. NY Music Spaces
a rehearsal/ performance bank (there are versions for dance/theatre space as well)
http://nycmusicspaces.org/music_search.html

Cultural Data Project

Operated by Pew Charitable Trust http://www.culturaldata.org/about/

The Cultural Data Project (CDP) is a unique system that enables arts and cultural organizations to enter financial, programmatic and operational data into a standardized online form.  Organizations can then use the CDP to produce a variety of reports designed to help increase management capacity, identify strengths and challenges and inform decision-making. They can also generate reports to be included as part of the application processes to participating grantmakers.

·         Nationwide, more than 100 public, private, corporate and community-based grantmakers with nearly 150 funding programs are providing support or accepting reports from the CDP, while advocacy and service organizations are using CDP data to make the case for arts and culture.

·         The arts and cultural community in Pennsylvania is using CDP data in a powerful way, showing the real impact of a proposed tax on cultural activities. Using fact-based, reliable data from the CDP, the cultural community has proven that revenues from such a tax would fall far below what legislators project. According to Artdaily.org, “[w]hile this tax will have a dramatic impact on a broad base of nonprofit and for-profit cultural activity, a 6% tax on tickets at PA nonprofit cultural orgs would yield only $12.96 million, less than 13% of the total revenue projected by legislators (based on statewide nonprofit ticket sales as reported to the PA Cultural Data Project).”  At critical moments like these, when arts and cultural organizations are facing innumerable challenges, CDP data provides arts and culture advocates with the vital information necessary to impact cultural policy.