chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] CHPAC ad hoc meeting on February 19 or 21

  • From: "Frank Webb" <frankwebb AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: 'Steve' <steve AT abetterimageprinting.com>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] CHPAC ad hoc meeting on February 19 or 21
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:14:47 -0500

Dear Colleagues,

The purpose of this note is to ask you to indicate your availability to come to an ad hoc meeting of CHPAC in the Town Hall from 5 or 5:30 PM on either February 19 or February 21. Please direct your response to me with a copy to Steve.

The meeting will deal with three items outstanding from our meeting of yesterday evening, namely the selection of Artist II for Lot 5, the revised oversight of Percent for Art projects and the promotion of CHPAC at “Public Art 360”, 11-12 April 2007.

1.       Artist II, Lot 5: The Chapel Hill Public Art Review Committee recommended that the project be awarded to Gordon Huether. CHPAC’s endorsement is not needed for the Town to proceed and is simply a formality. However, endorsement enables us to issue a press release on our letterhead announcing the outcome of a process that has been driven and managed by CHPAC. We would like to do this as soon as possible.

In the absence of Steve, Eric and Haig from yesterday’s CHPAC meeting there was nobody to present Gordon’s work. We would like to do that at the ad hoc meeting. Meanwhile, if you review Gordon Huether’s work featured on his website http://www.gordonhuether.com/ and read the artist’s response to the Public Art Review Committee’s question, attached. You will have 90 percent of the information that was available to Public Art Review Committee (there was no concept for Lot 5). At our meeting we will also show Mikyoung Kim’s concept presentation to those who were unable to see it when she was here.

2.       Revised oversight of Percent for Art projects: Percent for Art is the most important responsibility of CHPAC. We propose to involve all Board Members of the Commission in assisting the program chair (Eric) and Steve (and eventually the PA Coordinator) in tracking the projects. We plan to do this by assigning each PFA project to a PFA Committee member and one or more other Board Members. The responsibility entails staying aware of the status of the project and being able to alert the Commission to opportunities for communications to the media or the CHPAC mailing list (e.g. when artists are in town). This kind of support will greatly facilitate Steve’s work as project manager for a large number of projects at different stages of implementation.

At our ad hoc meeting we shall ask for members to indicate those projects in which they would like to be involved.

3.       Promotion of CHPAC at “Public Art 360”, 11-12 April 2007: We need to identify a CHPAC Board Member willing to take the lead in planning for CHPAC’s visibility at this meeting. Yesterday evening nobody was willing to step forward. At our ad hoc meeting we shall appeal to you to do so.

Please respond as soon as possible.

Thanks, Frank

Frank T. G. Webb

1-919-942 6379 tel