chpac-staff - Re: [Chpac-staff] Percent for Art

  • From: "Frank Webb" <frankwebb AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "'Janet Kagan'" <jkagan AT nc.rr.com>, <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Chpac-staff] Percent for Art
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:32:53 -0500

Thanks, Janet. At least this is a balanced article and not shrill as others have been. And I’ve since gathered that Councilman Matt Czajkowski’s views are shared by few on the Council. The message that the bulk of CHPAC’s budget remains in the town and supports multiple programs that involve local artists is an important one to repeat, I believe.

There has been much discussion in recent weeks of our need to be more proactive in raising awareness of what we do, in projecting and managing a positive image of CHPAC and in being far more alert, not only to potential ‘news hooks’ such as visits by distinguished public artists like Mikyoung Kim, but also to the kind of pushback and criticism we have witnessed in recent months. The message matrix is a building block of that plan and we want to add to that by establishing a media protocol, talking points, position statements and our responses to anticipated criticisms of the kind you higlight so we are more ‘media savvy’. We are also exploring support from a professional PR person for key events or even through a continuing relationship if such is affordable.

Your broad experience at national and state levels will be very valuable in shaping our plan and these resource materials. I am reminded of the articles about Janet Echelman’s art in Phoenix that you have distributed recently. They provide a great case study on how to turn around a negative situation, don’t you agree?

I look forward to discussing the particular challenge you have raised as well as our broader strategy to gain control of our image.

Thanks again, Frank