chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] CHPAC update

  • From: "Kate Flory" <kflory AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] CHPAC update
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 12:13:17 -0400

Commission Members,

In previous informal discussions between individual Town Council members and officers of the CHPAC, there was mutual acknowledgment that, given the pendency of various proposals embodied in the Contextual Plan, it would be useful to undertake an analysis of current relationships.  This possibility is now the subject of advertant Town Council attention.  At the Council's budget work session yesterday afternoon, that Kate Flory attended, the Council appointed a committee that will examine the status and role of the CHPAC as the instrumentality currently responsible for promoting and assisting in the implementation of the Chapel Hill public art program.

Pending such assessment, the Town Manager was directed to place "on hold" the CHPAC budget request for 2007-2008 and the commission, through Kate, was asked to defer the search for her replacement as Executive Director.  We will acquire a fuller understanding of future possibilities as the work of the Council's committee progresses.

For the present, it is important that we make no prospective fiscal commitments to third parties for the 2007-2008 fiscal year, e.g., advance payments for Sculpture Visions, contracts for Artists in Residence, etc., though there appears to be no reason for our respective program committees not to continue their usual background exploration of programming options.

As we receive additional information about this uncertain state of affairs, we will insure that you are fully informed.

Dick

  • [Chpac-staff] CHPAC update, Kate Flory, 05/24/2007