chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] FW: Public Art Contextual Plan: Draft for Review

  • From: "Jeff Cohen" <jeffreylcohen AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Chpac-Staff" <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] FW: Public Art Contextual Plan: Draft for Review
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 21:40:12 -0400

Regards,
Jeff
----
Jeffrey L. Cohen

-----Original Message-----
From: Janet Kagan [mailto:jkagan AT nc.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 7:14 PM
To: mark AT cdpl.org; sally AT ibiblio.org; jeffrey.york AT ncmail.net; jdube AT nc.rr.com; cianc002 AT mc.duke.edu; scott.radway AT radway-weaver.com; sarahwbergmann AT yahoo.com; rwbmda AT aol.com; boyles AT niehs.nih.gov; gbarnes1 AT mac.com; jeffreylcohen AT mindspring.com; rhrjr AT webtv.net; ballyhoo AT mindspring.com; jhsi AT earthlink.net
Cc: gail AT gmgassoc.com; tpendergraph AT townofchapelhill.org; cberndt AT townofchapelhill.org; swright AT townofchapelhill.org
Subject: Public Art Contextual Plan: Draft for Review

Members of the Public Art Contextual Plan Steering Committee

As promised, please find attached for your review and comments a draft of the Public Art Contextual Plan.  We hope that you will have a few minutes to consider its recommendations before we meet on Tuesday 25 April from 5pm - 6:3opm in the first floor conference room at Town Hall.

Because of the size of the file, we have decided to mail to each of you the illustrative map of proposed public art opportunities.  This envelope will be sent tomorrow, Tuesday 18 April, so hopefully you should receive it within a day or two.  Public art can certainly create community on a variety of levels and from multiple perspectives: neighborhoods, corridors, gateways, infrastructure, natural and landscape elements, roadways, public centers, ideas or themes that respond to our history and cultures; we hope that the map has captured many of these potential sites for public artworks.

As a brief reminder, it is hoped that this Plan will become integral to the Town's Comprehensive Plan.  One important goal of this effort is also to adopt relevant proposals to be applied through LUMO.  That said, neither Gail Goldman nor the Public Arts Commission are able to write specific ordinance language at this time.  Rather, we hope that the Council will receive and refer this Plan to the Town Attorney, and consider initiating aspects of its approach through the Council's legislative agenda with the State.
Thank you again for your enormous contributions to this important effort.  I look forward to seeing everyone next week.  Please let me know if you will be unable to join us.
With warm wishes
Janet Kagan
Chair, Contextual Plan
Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission