chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] Mural Update

  • From: "Kate Flory" <kflory AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] Mural Update
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:10:51 -0400

Hello CHPAC,

As discussed at our CHPAC meeting Wednesday night, yesterday I met with a group of people concerning the mural on the Bank of America wall facing Parking Lot #2.  The people at the meeting included: Kay Pearlstein and Dana Stidham from the Town’s Planning Department; Don Shea, the owner of Goldie’s Bar and Grille; Manning Outen, the property manager for the building; Michael Brown, the muralist; and me.

It was an interesting meeting.  Don Shea started out pretty eager to do away with the mural; however, as soon as we mentioned the inevitable public outcry and the graffiti problem that they would be inviting, he immediately softened.  We ultimately agreed that he would pay Michael to incorporate a Goldie’s sign into the mural and that Michael would also restore the current mural (it is not yet decided how that portion will be paid for).  Don Shea and Michael Brown both seemed to be happy with this solution.

I am scheduled to talk to Michael next week to discuss maintenance etc. for all of the Town’s murals.  I will certainly keep you all posted.

Thank you for all of your great feedback on Wednesday.  Let me know if you have any questions at all.

Kate

Kate Billings Flory

Executive Director

Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission

405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Chapel Hill, NC  27514

T: 919.968.2888, x377

F: 919.969.2063

E: kflory AT townofchapelhill.org

www.chapelhillarts.org

  • [Chpac-staff] Mural Update, Kate Flory, 10/21/2005