chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] SculptureVisions damage

  • From: "Kate Flory" <kflory AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] SculptureVisions damage
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:31:28 -0400

Hello CHPAC,

I’m emailing to let you know that unfortunately over this past weekend there was damage to a piece in the CHPAC’s SculptureVisions 2004 Exhibition.  Yesterday morning a crew from Public Works discovered damage to Barbara Kobylinska’s sculpture titled “Tropical Onion” located in the garden at Firehouse #3.

The clay sculpture is created in two pieces – it appears that the top (smaller) piece was broken in half.  It’s hard to tell if the damage was due to vandalism, a branch falling etc.  (My personal opinion is that it was probably not vandalism as the break to the piece is very clean and I would imagine someone trying to vandalize the piece would have shattered it a little more dramatically – but who knows.)

A report has been filed with the Police Department; I have spoken to the artist and I have spoken to the Town Finance Department about insurance. I’ll keep you all posted on any new developments.

Let me know if you have any questions at all.

Kate

Kate Billings Flory

Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission

306 North Columbia Street

Chapel Hill, NC  27516-2124

T: 919.968.2888, x377

F: 919.969.2063

E: kflory AT townofchapelhill.org

www.chapelhillarts.org

  • [Chpac-staff] SculptureVisions damage, Kate Flory, 10/26/2004