chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] CHPAC Update

  • From: "Jeff Cohen" <jeffreylcohen AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Chpac-Staff" <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] CHPAC Update
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 01:30:01 -0400

Hi All:

Even though we do not have a July Meeting, there's a lot going on this summer. Here's the Update:

Town Staff will contact Kate to begin the process, at which time we will have a governance committee meeting to begin hammering out the details. Watch your email for details on this meeting, as all CHPAC are welcome at these meetings, and your input is encouraged.

Also at the Town Council Meeting:
Councilmember Cam Hill put forth a resolution stating the OWASA should consider participating in the town percent for art program. The resolution, which also passed, acknowledged that OWASA's funding comes jointly from CH, Carrboro and the County, and the other municipalities would need to agree as well.

Percent for Art Projects:
Town Operations Center:
Artist Selection Committee Chose Artists for Project. Decision must be finalized.

Southern Community Park:
Interview Finalists Thursday August 5

Homestead Aquatic Center:
Interview Finalists Thursday August 19

Please come to these interviews if you are interested in the Artist Selection Process.

Letter in Sunday's CH Herald:
The following letter appeared in Sunday's CH Herald. If you would like to respond individually (as a member of the CHPAC), please do so. I will write a letter from me, but listing myself as CHPAC Chair.

Should town be spending for art?

Chapel Hill Town Council recently passed an ordinance requiring that funds allocated for new capital improvement projects include a "Percent for Art." One percent of every new project is to be spent on artwork at the site.

Projects with multi-million dollar budgets, such as the Aquatic Center and the Town Operations Center, will devote large amounts of tax money to art. How many citizens know about "Percent for Art," and will ever visit the new Town Operations Center and enjoy the $420,616 of art?! Should we acquire a Van Gogh or a Picasso?

This ordinance was passed based on a request by the Public Arts Commission, which is comprised of volunteers who care very much about their area of expertise. Is the Arts Commission receiving preferential treatment over the other commissions?

I served on a committee to create a sculpture garden at Pritchard Park next to the public library, as a joint public-private partnership with the Siena Hotel. We should be careful when spending large amounts of taxpayer dollars for art. Art can make a political statement or be purposely offensive to many, instead of just being aesthetic and uplifting.

There are more pressing human service needs in our town than a need for public art. The town provides some funds for human services, even though this is a county responsibility. When I chaired the Human Services Board, literacy training, reading to young children and assistance to the frail elderly were funded. There are still many unmet human services needs in Chapel Hill.

We need funds to maintain our existing recreational facilities and to staff new projects. After all, citizens use these on a daily basis. Priorities must be set when allocating limited funds.

The public should know about this percent for art program and let elected officials know whether this is where they want their tax dollars to go. We must impress upon our local government officials that taxpayers can only pay so much. We are facing ever-increasing tax rates and new taxes, including the town stormwater utility fee and the county recycling fee.

Some with modest incomes may be forced out of our town. Does anyone care about rising taxes?

Terri Tyson
Chapel Hill
July 4, 2004

That's all for know. Keep in touch over the summer, and we'll see everyone in August.

Sincerely,
Jeff

  • [Chpac-staff] CHPAC Update, Jeff Cohen, 07/07/2004