chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] News & Observer Article

  • From: "Jeff Cohen" <jeffreylcohen AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Chpac-Staff" <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] News & Observer Article
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 21:35:13 -0500

http://newsobserver.com/news/triangle/story/3146988p-2844837c.html

Chapel Hill to show portraits

From Staff Reports

CHAPEL HILL -- The Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission is seeking submissions for its self-portrait project, an initiative to display the self-portraits of participants in various public locations in the community.

The exhibit has a tentative start date of April 2 and would run through May. The commission is accepting submission of self-portraits through March 15.

Among the places the works will be displayed are Chapel Hill Town Hall, Carrboro Town Hall, Chapel Hill Public Library, Carrboro Century Center and Hargraves Center.

Kate Billings, an arts commission staff member, said the commission is seeking the work of non-artists as well as artists, anyone who is interested in sharing his or her likeness. People of all ages are encouraged to participate.

Billings said the commission is sponsoring the project because it is a way to get people to see art as a means for introspection.

"Self-portraits are a wonderful opportunity for self-reflection. It is a unique look at our community, a unique way to see the makeup of our community and how people see themselves," she said.

In addition to creating the self-portraits, participants also will have to submit a statement explaining their pieces.

Billings said the project is part of the commission's mission to help expose the community to art.

"The nice thing about this project is, it touches on part of what we do, and that is enhancing the community by putting art in public places," she said. "We are already getting a lot of enthusiastic responses. When they hear the idea, people's faces light up."

For information, call Billings at 968-2888, ext. 377.

  • [Chpac-staff] News & Observer Article, Jeff Cohen, 12/22/2003