chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] (no subject)

  • From: "Janet Kagan" <jkagan AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] (no subject)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:16:46 -0400

Greetings CHPAC

Please find below an invitation from Sally Greene, candidate for Town
Council, who will be speaking on behalf of greater inclusion of public art
throughout Chapel Hill. I hope you can join me tomorrow (Tuesday 21
October) at 1:45pm at the corner of Rosemary and Columbia Streets.

Kind regards

Janet

Grassroots for Greene:

Part of my vision for the future of Chapel Hill includes increased
efforts to support public art. Our "percent for art" ordinance, passed
last year, was the first such ordinance in the state. It's exciting to
think about how the ordinance is working and will work in the future to
fund public art throughout the town. We are a college town rich in
creative tradition, and we need to nurture that aspect of our civic
life.

The town is about to initiate its project to redevelop parking lot 2
(behind Spanky's at the corner of N. Columbia & Rosemary) and lot 5
(across from the former Michael Jordan's restaurant). A public-private
real estate development consultant is about to be hired. He will first
do a market study. Assuming the study justifies these development
projects and suggests the possible range of uses that the spaces should
be put to, the next step will be to think about their design.

I've scheduled a news conference at Lot 2 tomorrow afternoon at 1:45 to
outline my thoughts for how the design should proceed. I want to
challenge the town to insist on architectural designs for these sites
that are inspiring and uplifting, beyond the merely functional. We can
all think of buildings and public spaces in cities we've known where
great architecture, combined with art, frames memorable and meaningful
experiences. The physical context of a downtown area can shape and
inform our very sense of well-being.

In redeveloping these two important downtown sites, we know we are
planning for the long term. We have an opportunity to make Franklin
Street an arts destination and a true public gathering place. There's a
lot of interest in making it happen. This is what I will be talking
about tomorrow.

I will be joined by Janet Kagan, co-chair of the Public Arts
Commission, as well as other members of the local arts community.
Please join us.

Tuesday, Oct. 21
1:45 p.m.
Parking Lot 2 behind Spanky's

Thanks,
Sally
Go Greene!
sallygreene.org

  • [Chpac-staff] (no subject), Janet Kagan, 10/20/2003