ch-scene - [Internationalist] March News and Events at Internationalist Books

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] March News and Events at Internationalist Books
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 19:38:13 -0400

Hello all!

Thanks to all the folks who came out for the Internationalist Cabaret at the end of last month. The turn out was HUGE, even with the lingering bad weather. It was a really fun and successful fundraiser. Special thanks to all the wonderful volunteer performers and pie bakers.

If you missed the Cabaret and haven't checked the website or Facebook lately, make sure to read our post about this year's *Bob Sheldon Award *at internationalistbooks.org.
/
/There are some really exciting and special events this month. Check 'em out, and we hope to see you soon!
/
////In this email you'll find:/

Comics Reading and Performance - Ben Passmore (DAYGLOAYHOLE), M. Chandelier (Surgical Amphitheater) & Erin K. Wilson (Snowbird), March 23

Zine Reading - Trace Ramsey (Quitter, Carrying Capacity) & Emma Anticlimax (The Way You Walked Was Thorny), March 26

CHC Brigade Radical Teen Group, March 2

Tarot in Words, Wednesdays 2:00 - 5:00 pm

Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night, March 16

Trans Discussion Group Dates in March

You can also follow us on Facebook for more news and info about events and happenings at the shop:www.facebook.com/internationalistbooks.

--------
Comics Reading and Performance - Ben Passmore (DAYGLOAYHOLE), M. Chandelier (Surgical Amphitheater) & Erin K. Wilson (Snowbird), March 23

Monday, March 23
7pm

Join Ben Passmore, M. Chandelier, and Erin Wilson for a night of semi-theatrical presentations of personal and radical comics. Through
projected images, music, and monologues Ben, M, and Erin share stories about art theorists, arid post-apocalyptic wastelands, bad break-ups,
worst okcupid dates, New Orleans, and institutionalized racism.

Ben Passmore makes a comic called/DAYGLOAYHOLE/. His work has appeared in Vice, Antigravity Magazine, Speculative Relations, Bad Karma, Menu, Irene, As You Were and various pseudo insurgent anarchist publications. He would like to stay on your couch.
daygloayhole.tumblr.com <http://daygloayhole.tumblr.com/>

M. Chandelier is an illustrator and performance artist based in New Orleans. Their ongoing comics series/Surgical Amphitheater/is an
speculative exploration of missing pieces of queer history. M. is dedicated to making financially accessible visual and performance work
that also rigorously decodes the the oppressive constructs that shapes our current horrific reality. They will utilize the power of ecstatic
and sloppy dance when necessary.

Erin K Wilson is a New Orleans-based comic artist dedicated to exploring politically radical concepts in comics as well as talking
about every feeling, ever. By writing comics about every vulnerable secret she has, Erin attempts to inspire readers to think or talk
about silenced concepts in our culture. She hopes to inspire conversations about trauma, vulnerability, privilege (class, gender,
race), and fan fiction.
www.snowbirdcomic.com <http://www.snowbirdcomic.com/>

--------
Zine Reading - Trace Ramsey (Quitter, Carrying Capacity) & Emma Anticlimax (The Way You Walked Was Thorny), March 26

Thursday, March 26
7pm
Double Zine Author Reading!

Trace Ramsey reads from his /Quitter/ zine and from /Carrying Capacity/, a work in progress on ancestral mythology, recovery from depression and substance abuse, disintegration of generational memory in the absence of physical evidence.
Emma Anticlimax reads from /The Way You Walked Was Thorny/ or "how I dealt with emotional abuse by watching monster movies and crying over Frankenstein."

Trace Ramsey has written the zine /Quitter/ for over a decade. In a lean and beautifully-written voice akin to Willa Cather's but all his own, Trace Ramsey shows us a tangled kind of life--deep-burrowed hurt as well as love, belief in, and need for good creatures, a tinge of wildness in city blocks. A zine about depression and children and childhood and dreams, the eighth issue of /Quitter/ is one of the most substantial pieces of literary work in the Pioneers Press catalog. The first six issues were anthologized and published in 2014 by Pioneers Press under the title /Quitter: Good Luck Not Dying/. Each of the chapters of Carrying Capacity is both standalone and cumulative, built of memoir style vignettes and named after streets the author has lived on during the past forty years. Trace Ramsey received a 2015 Ella Fountain Pratt Emerging Artists grant in literature to fund his reading tour of North Carolina.

Well-written and full of ideas that will set off a whole bulk-box of lightbulbs in your head, Emma Anticlimax's /The Way You Walked Was Thorny/ is inspiring, scary, and beautiful. Also from Pioneers Press, it's an impressive debut and an important look at keeping your head together in a world that often rips you apart.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1407198236257387/

--------
CHC Brigade Radical Teen Group, March 2

First Mondays of every month, 4:00 - 9:00 pm

Teens with radical ideas about themselves, their politics and their world get together for discussions, readings and direct action/DIY projects that encourage teens to keep asking hard questions, fight the good fight and be a good person who leads a thoughtful, generous and fun life.

--------
Tarot in Words, Wednesdays 2:00 - 5:00 pm

Visiting tarot reader and astrologer partnering with the store on Wednesday afternoons.

Through Tarot in Words, I aim to bring tarot to you in a simple, easy to understand way - and some astrology as well! In addition to the in-person readings I offer, I also maintain a presence online where I introduce new cards each week - energies and lessons to focus on during the week. As you become more familiar with tarot and use it to connect more deeply with reflection and your intuition, you will find that it becomes easier to understand others, yourself, and the world around you.

Book your reading today atetsy.com/shop/tarotinwords <http://etsy.com/shop/tarotinwords>.

Also, check out Tarot in Words in other social media:
facebook.com/tarotinwords/ <http://facebook.com/tarotinwords/>
tarotinwords.tumblr.com <http://tarotinwords.tumblr.com/>
twitter.com/tarotinwords <http://twitter.com/tarotinwords>

--------
Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night, March 16

Join us for our monthly Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night. Write letters and birthday cards to political prisoners with birthdays in the month of March.

Monday, March 16th at 7:00pm

Bring friends, snacks and money to help with postage!

Writing letters is a great way to support prisoners and let our political prisoners know they are loved and not forgotten. Check out prisonbooks.info every month to find the poster of birthdays to share with friends or write from home if you can't join us for letter writing night!

--------
Trans Discussion Group Dates in March

Wednesday, March 4th at 8:00pm
(open): for people who identify as transgender/genderqueer/otherwise gender-questioning or gender-nonconforming, as well as their friends, family and allies

Wednesday, March 18th at 8:00pm
(closed): for people who identify as transgender/genderqueer/otherwise gender-questioning or gender-nonconforming.
---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: