ch-scene - [Internationalist] February News and Events at Internationalist Books

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] February News and Events at Internationalist Books
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 21:08:20 -0500

Hello all!

Thanks to all the folks who came out for the Internationalist Books Open House last week! It was so large and fun that we've decided to have an open house every season. Look out for another one in the spring!

This time of the winter is always a busy and important one for us, with a ton of events and our yearly remembrance of Internationalist founder Bob Sheldon.

We are now taking nominations for this year's *Bob Sheldon Award*. Each year we honor Bob's memory and legacy by celebrating a group or project in the community. Please tell us who you think we should honor in this way this year!

The *3rd Annual Internationalist Cabaret* is coming up this month as well, on Friday, February 27th! Look out for more details soon, but be in touch if you want to perform, bake a pie for the auction, or help with the event/.

/We're also holding a *t-shirt design contest* this month to find a new look for a new year and a new space. /
///
*Check out our website for more info: www.internationalistbooks.org*/

////In this email you'll find:/

Teach-In & Fundraiser for Unis'tot'en Camp Indigenous Pipeline Blockade, January 29

CHC Brigade Radical Teen Group, February 2

MERMUTANTS: The Future of Florida, a multimedia collaborative puppet show, February 5

Tarot in Words, Wednesdays 2:00 - 5:00 pm

Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night, February 16

Trans Discussion Group Dates in February

Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday, Support Prisoners By Becoming A Sustaining Donor!

You can also follow us on Facebook for more news and info about events and happenings at the shop:www.facebook.com/internationalistbooks.

--------
Teach-In & Fundraiser for Unis'tot'en Camp Indigenous Pipeline Blockade, January 29

Thursday, January 29nd 7:00 - 9:00 pm

The Unist'ot'en, a clan of the Wet'suet'en Nation have built permanent camps that stand directly in the path of oil and gas pipelines currently proposed to run through Unist'ot'en territory in so-called BC Canada. As long as they stand, no pipelines can be built. There will be a video presentation by a member of Marcellus Shale Earth First! followed by a discussion about the eco-cidal expansion of tar sands and shale gas projects on turtle island.

All money raised will be sent to Unistoten camp for supplies!

https://www.facebook.com/events/839387429438361/

--------
CHC Brigade Radical Teen Group, February 2

First Mondays of every month, 4:00 - 9:00 pm

Teens with radical ideas about themselves, their politics and their world get together for discussions, readings and direct action/DIY projects that encourage teens to keep asking hard questions, fight the good fight and be a good person who leads a thoughtful, generous and fun life.

--------
MERMUTANTS: The Future of Florida, a multimedia collaborative puppet show, February 5

Thursday, February 5th 7:00 pm

The oceans have risen, swallowing up all but Florida's highest hill. As the surviving humans scramble to stay above sea level, sea people thrive below, in the toxic neon slime of the ocean. Through puppetry, storytelling, and original music, Mermutants! explores the dystopian gated community of the last humans, the colorful underwater world of feral mermutants, singing clams, and the bottom-dwelling sea witch, and the garbage-laden shoreline where their worlds collide.

This post-apocalyptic fantasy features natural curiosities and natural disasters, transpeciation and transformation, regeneration and regurgitation.

$5+ suggested donation at the door

https://www.facebook.com/mermutantsfutureflorida <https://www.facebook.com/mermutantsfutureflorida>

--------
Tarot in Words, Wednesdays 2:00 - 5:00 pm

Visiting tarot reader and astrologer partnering with the store on Wednesday afternoons.

Through Tarot in Words, I aim to bring tarot to you in a simple, easy to understand way - and some astrology as well! In addition to the in-person readings I offer, I also maintain a presence online where I introduce new cards each week - energies and lessons to focus on during the week. As you become more familiar with tarot and use it to connect more deeply with reflection and your intuition, you will find that it becomes easier to understand others, yourself, and the world around you.

Book your reading today atetsy.com/shop/tarotinwords <http://etsy.com/shop/tarotinwords>.

Also, check out Tarot in Words in other social media:
facebook.com/tarotinwords/ <http://facebook.com/tarotinwords/>
tarotinwords.tumblr.com <http://tarotinwords.tumblr.com/>
twitter.com/tarotinwords <http://twitter.com/tarotinwords>

--------
Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night, February 16

Join us for our monthly Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night. Write letters and birthday cards to political prisoners with birthdays in the month of February.

Monday, February 16th at 7:00pm

Bring friends, snacks and money to help with postage!

Writing letters is a great way to support prisoners and let our political prisoners know they are loved and not forgotten. Check out prisonbooks.info every month to find the poster of birthdays to share with friends or write from home if you can't join us for letter writing night!

--------
Trans Discussion Group Dates in February

Wednesday, February 4th at 8:00pm
(open): for people who identify as transgender/genderqueer/otherwise gender-questioning or gender-nonconforming, as well as their friends, family and allies

Wednesday, February 18th at 8:00pm
(closed): for people who identify as transgender/genderqueer/otherwise gender-questioning or gender-nonconforming.

--------
Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday, Support Prisoners By Becoming A Sustaining Donor!

Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday from 1 - 4 in Carrboro. Check out prisonbooks.info for more information.

For 7 years the Internationalist Prison Books Collective has been sending
books and resource guides, for free, to thousands of prisoners all over
the South. Whether a prisoner is teaching themselves to read, filing a
grievance, or organizing on the inside, we are a lifeline.

Please make a monetary donation topay for postage and supplies to help us continue this vital work.
https://www.everribbon.com/prisonbooks
---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: