ch-scene - [Internationalist] January News and Events at Internationalist Books & Community Center

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] January News and Events at Internationalist Books & Community Center
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 13:48:14 -0500

Hello all!

We hope your new year is off to a great start. Ours is already busy with exciting collaborations, events, and an open house!
/

////In this email you'll find:/

Internationalist Books Open House, January 22

CHC Radical Teen Group, January 5

Hollaback! Meeting, January 6

Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night, January 19

Trans Discussion Group Dates in January

Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday, Support Prisoners By Becoming A Sustaining Donor!

You can also follow us on Facebook for more news and info about events and happenings at the shop:www.facebook.com/internationalistbooks.

--------
Internationalist Books Open House!

Thursday, January 22nd 5:00 - 9:00 pm

Come celebrate with us in our new home!

After 18 years on Franklin St in downtown Chapel Hill, Internationalist Books and Community Center moved this September to its new location in Carrboro. After a lot of hard work, we now have room to grow, an energizing space for meetings and reading groups, and much easier parking. To thank everyone for their long hours laboring and their generous donations, we're throwing a party! If you haven't yet gotten to see our new beautiful space--and especially if you come regularly to shop or visit--come celebrate with us at our open house.

We're cooking up a spread of drinks and snacks, showcasing the highlights from our big move, and taking care of alittle business. This is going to double as our annual Members' Meeting, so whenever you drop by be sure to read our managers' report from the year and cast a vote for our new board of directors. We'll also be asking for your ideas, dreams, and visions for the store's future in this new space--so come with your creative brilliance in hand!

This is an exciting transition time in our 33 year history. For decades, Internationalist Books has given youth a space of their own while connecting them to generations past, a legacy that few local institutions can claim. With an eye to the future, we're reaching out to everyone who has been touched by that history, past and present. Bring your parents, your children, your families, and your friends, and let's get ready for the next thirty years together!

If you're interested in serving on the next Board of Directors or volunteering at the new store, email ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org for more details. If you're interested in becoming a monthly sustainer, sign up herehttp://www.internationalistbooks.org/become-a-sustainer/ <http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.internationalistbooks.org%2Fbecome-a-sustainer%2F&h=SAQF8r4e1&enc=AZPBDFjgSR6ct3-7VAdXxb0wcIPFdrg2BR14YX9Ke4mLHepgcstuBnclkOY4NZK0oT4&s=1>

--------
CHC Radical Teen Group, January 5

First Mondays of every month, 4:00 - 9:00 pm

We're thrilled to be the host for a new youth-organized radical teen group. CHC meets on the first Monday of every month in the shop. Come check it out to find out more about projects and activities, and to get a copy of their zine.

--------
Hollaback! Meeting, January 6

Tuesday, January 6th 6:00 - 7:30 pm

Hollaback!919, Durham and Chapel Hills' badass anti-street-harassment campaign, is looking for new leaders and fresh ideas to take the project forward. If you have been looking for a way to take action to make public spaces safe for everyone, this is your chance!

Come meet the launch team and find out more about what Hollaback! leadership looks like.

--------
Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night, January 19

Join us for our monthly Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night. Write letters and birthday cards to political prisoners with birthdays in the month of December. This is also a great chance to write extra holiday cards to other prisoners who you may write to.

Monday, January 19th at 7:00pm

Bring friends, snacks and money to help with postage!

Writing letters is a great way to support prisoners and let our political prisoners know they are loved and not forgotten. Check out prisonbooks.info every month to find the poster of birthdays to share with friends or write from home if you can't join us for letter writing night!

--------

Trans Discussion Group Dates in January

Wednesday, January 7th at 8:00pm
(open): for people who identify as transgender/genderqueer/otherwise gender-questioning or gender-nonconforming, as well as their friends, family and allies

Wednesday, January 21st at 8:00pm
(closed): for people who identify as transgender/genderqueer/otherwise gender-questioning or gender-nonconforming.

--------

Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday, Support Prisoners By Becoming A Sustaining Donor!

Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday from 1 - 4 in Carrboro. Check out prisonbooks.info for more information.

For 7 years the Internationalist Prison Books Collective has been sending
books and resource guides, for free, to thousands of prisoners all over
the South. Whether a prisoner is teaching themselves to read, filing a
grievance, or organizing on the inside, we are a lifeline.

We need your help! Due to an increase in requests, we desperately need
people to help open prisoners' letters and fill packages. It's a simple
and fulfilling way to make a difference and show people they aren't
forgotten.

Please make a monetary donation topay for postage and supplies to help us continue this vital work.
https://www.everribbon.com/prisonbooks
---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: