ch-scene - [Internationalist] Presentation from Mexican Artists and Activists This Thursday, December 18th

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Presentation from Mexican Artists and Activists This Thursday, December 18th
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 19:55:30 -0500

Just this week we've added another great event to our schedule for the month of December. We hope to see folks this Thursday!

---

SPECTACULAR VIOLENCE AND RESISTANCE STRATEGIES IN MEXICO

7 PM
Thursday, December 18
@ Internationalist Books & Community Center

The purpose of this presentation is to introduce the current political and social situation in Mexico and elaborate on some of the functions and effects of violence as a discursive practice. Our hope is that the presentation can lead to a fruitful and creative discussion about what actions we can take, on both sides of the border, to mitigate the worst of the effects of this violence. Hopefully together we can propose viable strategies of resistance.

After the presentation there will be time for an informal and horizontal discussion. We encourage everyone who has an interest in social justice, drug policy, art and activism to attend and share their ideas.

The presenters:

Jorge is a Mexican artist living in Mexico City. He is currently in the doctoral program in the College of Art and Design at the National Autonomous University of Mexico. His Master's work focused on an empirical and interpretive study of narco(State) violence. He is active with various queer, trans-feminist and anarchist groups like Bloque Rosa, Casa Gomorra and with Food not Bombs.

Miroslava is a post-pornographic video artist and activist in Mexico City. She is currently working on her Master's thesis which looks at anarcho-queer resistance strategies in Latin America and their troubled history under Latin American dictatorships. She is active with various queer, trans-feminist and anarchist groups like Bloque Rosa, Casa Gomorra.

Also, the presentation takes an honest and open look at the spectacles of brutality in contemporary Mexican life. The material is upsetting.
---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: