ch-scene - [Internationalist] December News and Events at Internationalist Books

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] December News and Events at Internationalist Books
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 19:41:48 -0500

Hello all!

We write our monthly newsletter while flipping back and forth to videos and photos and news articles about rage and resistance in the wake of another failure of the legal system to hold police accountable for the murder of a black man. We'd feel remiss leaving it out as we send out this email. As we're sure y'all have been, we've been busy in the shop and the community and in the streets responding to the events in Ferguson and now NYC, and the larger struggle against a society that demeans and steals black and brown lives, and against the police. We hope these winter days find you in good company, strong together with folks you love, working for the world we want to see, and joining in and supporting new waves of resistance as they develop across the country.

With love and rage,
Internationalist Books and Community Center

/
////In this email you'll find:/

Ariana Vigil Reads From Her New Book War Echoes, December 4

Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night, December 15

Trans Discussion Group Dates in December

Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday, Support Prisoners By Becoming A Sustaining Donor!

You can also follow us on Facebook for more news and info about events and happenings at the shop:www.facebook.com/internationalistbooks.

--------

Ariana Vigil Reads From Her New Book War Echoes, December 4

Thursday, December 4th at 7:00pm

Local professor and author Ariana Vigil will read from her newly published book War Echoes .
War Echoes examines how Latina/o cultural production has engaged with U.S. militarism in the post--Viet Nam era. Analyzing literature alongside film, memoir, and activism, Ariana E. Vigil highlights the productive interplay among social, political, and cultural movements while exploring Latina/o responses to U.S. intervention in Central America and the Middle East. These responses evolved over the course of the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries---from support for anti-imperial war, as seen in Alejandro Murguia's Southern Front, to the disavowal of all war articulated in works such as Demetria Martinez's Mother Tongue and Camilo Mejia's Road from Ar Ramadi. With a focus on how issues of race, class, gender, and sexuality intersect and are impacted by war and militarization, War Echoes illustrates how this country's bellicose foreign policies have played an integral part in shaping U.S. Latina/o culture and identity and given rise to the creation of works that recognize how militarized violence and values, such as patriarchy, hierarchy, and obedience, are both enacted in domestic spheres and propagated abroad.

https://www.facebook.com/events/305465762995138/
--------

Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night, December 15

Join us for our monthly Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night. Write letters and birthday cards to political prisoners with birthdays in the month of December. This is also a great chance to write extra holiday cards to other prisoners who you may write to.

Monday, December 15th at 7:00pm

Bring friends, snacks and money to help with postage!

Writing letters is a great way to support prisoners and let our political prisoners know they are loved and not forgotten. Check out prisonbooks.info every month to find the poster of birthdays to share with friends or write from home if you can't join us for letter writing night!

--------

Trans Discussion Group Dates in December

Wednesday, December 10th at 8:00pm
(open): for people who identify as transgender/genderqueer/otherwise gender-questioning or gender-nonconforming, as well as their friends, family and allies

--------

Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday, Support Prisoners By Becoming A Sustaining Donor!

Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday from 1 - 4 in Carrboro. Check out prisonbooks.info for more information.

For 7 years the Internationalist Prison Books Collective has been sending
books and resource guides, for free, to thousands of prisoners all over
the South. Whether a prisoner is teaching themselves to read, filing a
grievance, or organizing on the inside, we are a lifeline.

We need your help! Due to an increase in requests, we desperately need
people to help open prisoners' letters and fill packages. It's a simple
and fulfilling way to make a difference and show people they aren't
forgotten.

Please make a monetary donation topay for postage and supplies to help us continue this vital work.
https://www.everribbon.com/prisonbooks
---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: