ch-scene - [Internationalist] November News and Events at Internationalist Books

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] November News and Events at Internationalist Books
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 14:45:44 -0500

Hello everyone!

Here is the November newsletter for Internationalist Books and Community Center. You can also follow us on Facebook for more news and info about events and happenings at the shop:www.facebook.com/internationalistbooks.

Have you come to visit us in our new space at 101 Lloyd St in Carrboro? After our first month, we're feeling more settled in and really excited about all the energy and potential this move has created. Come visit if you haven't, and be in touch with ideas for events, programs and inventory you'd like to see here!

/
////In this email you'll find:/

Resisting Federal Surveillance & State Repression, Presentation by Leslie James Pickering, November 6

Eddie Conway Speaking in the Triangle, November 13 & 14

5th Annual Carrboro Anarchist Bookfair, November 21-23

Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night, November 10

Trans Discussion Group Dates in November

Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday, Support Prisoners By Becoming A Sustaining Donor!

--------
Resisting Federal Surveillance & State Repression: The Case of Leslie James Pickering, the Earth Liberation Front Press Office & Burning Books

Thursday, November 6th at 7pm at Internationalist Books

A decade after being under heavy federal surveillance for exercising free speech in support of the underground Earth Liberation Front, Leslie James Pickering discovered that his associates are being questioned by the FBI, the US Post Office is copying his incoming mail, he was put on a secret list for maximum security screening at airports and a federal grand jury subpoena was issued for records on him, his family and his bookstore, Burning Books. Leslie has launched an extensive legal and public campaign to resist this surveillance, which he believes is aimed to repress Burning Books and the surge of activism and awareness that the bookstore generates. This multimedia presentation will open eyes to methods used by the federal government to repress activists and freedom struggles, and how they can be resisted.

https://www.facebook.com/events/733839623353856/

Leslie will also be speaking on Wednesday, November 5th on campus at UNC. Event details here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1496692400587809/
--------

Eddie Conway Speaking in the Triangle, November 13 and 14

Eddie Conway will be speaking in Chapel Hill and Durham on November 13th and 14th.

Thursday, November 13th, 7pm at UNC Chapel Hill
https://www.facebook.com/events/1487273738220079/

Friday, November 14th, 7pm at The Pinhook, Durham
https://www.facebook.com/events/867582423274183/

Marshall "Eddie" Conway was the defense minister of the Baltimore chapter of the Black Panther Party. Framed for the murder of two Baltimore police officers in 1970, he was sentenced to life in prison. While in prison, Eddie Conway earned three diplomas, started a prison literacy program, and organized prisoner unions and libraries. Conway has authored two books from prison, Marshall Law: The Life and Times of a Baltimore Black Panther, and his exposé The Greatest Threat: The Black Panther Party and COINTELPRO. After serving 43 years in prison, Conway was released on March 4, 2014.

Eddie Conway will be speaking about his time in the Black Panther Party, his prisoner organizing work inside prison, and what his life has been like since being released.
--------

5th Annual Carrboro Anarchist Bookfair, November 21-23

We're thrilled to be one of the spaces for the fifth year of the annual Carrboro Anarchist Bookfair at the end of November. A lot of exciting presentations are already confirmed, and you can learn more about the workshops, events, and tables as details are finalized by visiting the website at carrboroanarchistbookfair.wordpress.com. <http://carrboroanarchistbookfair.wordpress.com/workshops-and-events/>
--------

Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night, November 10th

The Internationalist Prison Books Collective brings you our monthly Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night. Write letters and birthday cards to political prisoners with birthdays in the month of November.

Monday, November 10th at 7:00pm

Bring friends, snacks and money to help with postage!

Writing letters is a great way to support prisoners and let our political prisoners know they are loved and not forgotten. Check out prisonbooks.info every month to find the poster of birthdays to share with friends or write from home if you can't join us for letter writing night!

--------

Trans Discussion Group Dates in November

Wednesday, November 12th at 8:00pm
(open): for people who identify as transgender/genderqueer/otherwise gender-questioning or gender-nonconforming, as well as their friends, family and allies

Wednesday, November 26th at 8:00pm
(closed): for people who identify as transgender/genderqueer/otherwise gender-questioning or gender-nonconforming.

--------

Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday, Support Prisoners By Becoming A Sustaining Donor!

Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday from 1 - 4 in Carrboro. Check out prisonbooks.info for more information.

For 7 years the Internationalist Prison Books Collective has been sending
books and resource guides, for free, to thousands of prisoners all over
the South. Whether a prisoner is teaching themselves to read, filing a
grievance, or organizing on the inside, we are a lifeline.

We need your help! Due to an increase in requests, we desperately need
people to help open prisoners' letters and fill packages. It's a simple
and fulfilling way to make a difference and show people they aren't
forgotten.

Please make a monetary donation topay for postage and supplies to help us continue this vital work.
https://www.everribbon.com/prisonbooks

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: