ch-scene - [Internationalist] August Events at Internationalist Books and Community Center

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] August Events at Internationalist Books and Community Center
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 10:07:18 -0400

Hello everyone!

Here is the August newsletter for Internationalist Books and Community Center. You can also follow us on Facebook for more news and info about events and happenings at the shop:www.facebook.com/internationalistbooks.

First of all, here are some updates on the big news we shared recently about the move! Our new location will be 101 Lloyd St. in Carrboro, where we'll be subletting from The Merch. We're beginning work on the new space this month, and are projecting a grand opening sometime in September. We'll keep folks updated on the progress of the move, on opportunities to help with the new space, and on meetings we're planning to gather the members and community to share goals and desires for the new space. A major fundraising campaign is in the works, and we'd love help and support from all of y'all. In the meantime, info about the move and how to financially contribute can be found at www.internationalistbooks.org.

In this email you'll find:

1) Maggie McNeill Reading, August 18th

2) Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night, August 20

3) Trans Discussion Group Dates in August

4) Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday, Support Prisoners By Becoming A Sustaining Donor!

--------

1) Maggie McNeill Reading, August 18th

Monday, August 18th at 7pm

Though popular blogger Maggie McNeill is best known for her perceptive, witty and razor-sharp essays on the facts about and issues surrounding sex work, her short fiction has also been highly praised. This book, her first published collection, contains thirty-seven stories ranging from fantasy to reality and from comedy to horror, whose heroines are all quite different from one another but have one thing in common: membership in the world's oldest profession.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1447144705555493/

--------

2) Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night, August 20th

The Internationalist Prison Books Collective brings you our monthly Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night. Write letters and birthday cards to political prisoners with birthdays in the month of August.

Wednesday, August 20th at 7:00pm

Bring friends, snacks and money to help with postage!

Writing letters is a great way to support prisoners and let our political prisoners know they are loved and not forgotten. Check out prisonbooks.info every month to find the poster of birthdays to share with friends or write from home if you can't join us for letter writing night!

--------

3) Trans Discussion Group Dates in August

Wednesday, August 13th at 8:00pm
(open): for people who identify as transgender/genderqueer/otherwise gender-questioning or gender-nonconforming, as well as their friends, family and allies

Wednesday, August 27th at 8:00pm
(closed): for people who identify as transgender/genderqueer/otherwise gender-questioning or gender-nonconforming.

--------

4) Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday, Support Prisoners By Becoming A Sustaining Donor!

Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday from 1 - 4 in Carrboro. Check out prisonbooks.info for more information.

For 7 years the Internationalist Prison Books Collective has been sending
books and resource guides, for free, to thousands of prisoners all over
the South. Whether a prisoner is teaching themselves to read, filing a
grievance, or organizing on the inside, we are a lifeline.

We need your help! Due to an increase in requests, we desperately need
people to help open prisoners' letters and fill packages. It's a simple
and fulfilling way to make a difference and show people they aren't
forgotten.

Please make a monetary donation topay for postage and supplies to help us continue this vital work.
https://www.everribbon.com/prisonbooks
---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: