ch-scene - [Internationalist] Today Is Bob Sheldon Day

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Today Is Bob Sheldon Day
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 08:54:43 -0800

2014 Bob Sheldon Award Honors the Work of the Blue Ridge Environmental
Defense League, Celebrating BREDL’s 30th Anniversary

Bob Sheldon founded Internationalist Books in 1981. More than 20 years
after his tragic death, Bob’s memory endures through the friends, family
and community that knew him, the work he did, and the project he began
that has continued for decades to bring people together and inspire
political action in North Carolina. His example shows us that living a
life of conviction creates something that can outlast our own times. We
award the Bob Sheldon Award each year in his memory to celebrate
collective resistance and groups or individuals whose work nurtures our
communities and our commitments to justice.

This year, we have chosen to give the Bob Sheldon Award to the Blue Ridge
Environmental Defense League (BREDL). BREDL is a regional,
community-based, non-profit organization whose founding principles are
earth stewardship, environmental democracy, social justice, and community
empowerment. As BREDL celebrates their 30th anniversary this year, we want
to honor their rich history of supporting people in defense of the
environment and environmental justice. We applaud their style of
organizing to support local, autonomous organizing. BREDL chapters work to
oppose a range of threats to the environment and human communities across
the Southeast, and we encourage everyone to learn more about their work
and 30th anniversary celebrations at their website: www.bredl.org.

We are especially grateful for BREDL’s work in recent years in the fight
against fracking in North Carolina. We are inspired by the work that BREDL
is doing to support and grow grassroots resistance with their local
chapters, educational materials, speaking tours, thorough research and
tenacious monitoring of legislative and industry developments. We believe
our communities can work together to defeat fracking before it begins
here, and we think the work of BREDL is invaluable to that effort.

We are happy to celebrate this anniversary with them and are proud to
honor them with the Bob Sheldon Award. We look forward to presenting and
celebrating this award together at the Internationalist Cabaret, at the
Nightlight at 405 W. Rosemary St. in Chapel Hill at 9 pm on February 28th.

In the nomination process for this year’s award, many people shared that
they wanted to find a way to highlight the ongoing struggles for justice
after the death of Jesus “Chuy” Huerta. We felt there was no clear way to
acknowledge only one individual or group out of a dynamic and evolving
community response to the tragic loss of Chuy and a larger movement
against the police. What we want to offer the family is not an award for
the tragedy they have been through, but our committed and continuing
support. We ask that as people celebrate Bob Sheldon’s memory this year,
they find ways to support the Huerta family and the struggle for justice
in Durham.

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: