ch-scene - [Internationalist] Valloween This Friday!‏ and so much more!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Valloween This Friday!‏ and so much more!
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:58:28 -0800

Hello everybody,

In this email You will find info on these events:

1) Last Call for Bob Sheldon Award Nominations

2) Wed. Feb 12th, Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night

3) Fri. Feb 14th, Valloween Benefit for the Earth First! Journal @ CHUG

4) Sat. Feb 15th, Durham Really Really Free Market

5) Fri. Feb 28th. Internationalist Cabaret and Bob Sheldon Award Ceremony
@ The Nightlight

6) Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday from 1 – 4 pm in Carrboro

1) Call for Bob Sheldon Day Nominations-

Bob Sheldon founded Internationalist Books in 1981, and ran the shop for
ten years, until his death in 1991. More than 20 years after his death,
Bob’s memory endures through the friends, family and community that knew
him, the work he did, and the project he began that has continued for
decades to inspire political action in North Carolina and bring people
together.

In a culture that degrades us and pushes us to see ourselves as isolated,
our desires for revolutionary change as futile and limited by our own
smallness, Bob’s example shows us that living a life of conviction creates
something that can outlast our own times. Remembering Bob inspires us to
understand how our acts of bravery and defiance and the spaces – like
Internationalist Books – that we make and defend have a power that is
bigger than each of us individually, a power to unmake the world we endure
and to create the world we want. Bob said, in 1983, that “the world
situation demands sweeping changes and we must do our part to meet that
challenge. We support the unity and liberation of oppressed peoples
worldwide, and are working toward the day when all oppression and
inequality will be removed from the face of the earth.” We award the Bob
Sheldon Award each year on the anniversary of his tragic death to
recognize and celebrate individuals and groups whose work is done in this
spirit.

Please send us your nominations for this year's Bob Sheldon award.

2)Wednesday, February 12th, Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night @ I
Books @ 7pm

The Internationalist Prison Books Collective brings you this month’s
Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night!

Write letters and birthday cards to political prisoners whose birthdays
fall during the month of February.

Bring snacks and money to help with postage!

Like every month, we’ll also have addresses and updates to write to
recently incarcerated or moved political prisoners as well as those with
birthdays. This month, we’ll be writing to Vicci, Lisa and Barb – the
three brave MI CATS activists just convicted for their actions defending
their communities against Enbridge’s tar sands pipeline. Learn more at
http://www.michigancats.org/free-the-felines.

Letter writing is an easy way to let these people know they aren’t
forgotten. If you can’t make it to the letter writing night then please
send a birthday card from home.
Addresses found here: http://wp.me/p18Qq1-16F

3) Saturday, February 15th, Really Really Free Market In Durham

Let's do this again! There will be a RRFM in Durham's Northgate Park on
Saturday February 15th from 2 to 4 pm.

The idea is simple: * bring what you don't want, take what you need *.
This event is what we each make it!

Free high fives and hugs. Free food, seeds, clothes, toys. Free advice.
Free community interaction. Free friendship and camaraderie.

You do not need to bring "stuff" in order to participate! However, if you
do bring anything other than yourselves and no one else takes it with
them, please take it back with you.
https://www.facebook.com/events/591116870976742/

4) Come Celebrate Halloween Again! at Valloween

Friday February 14, 2014 at Chapel Hill Underground 157 E Rosemary St.

Doors at 9 pm Show starts at 10 and open until 2 am
Cover: $5-20

Dance party & Costume Contest
Live DJs:

DJ Dudefemme
DJ Dreamboat
DJ Babytooth

playing a mix of Goth, Industrial, EBM, Techno, Electronic & Pop

Zombie Kissing Booth, games, prizes, get your photo taken in costume,
facepainting for those without a Valloween costume...

This is a benefit for the Earth First! Media Project
www.earthfirstjournal.org
voices in support of earth, animal and human liberation

Proceeds will go towards printing the newest version of the EF! Direct
Action Manual:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/earth-first-direct-action-manual

After several years in development, the Earth First! Direct Action Manual
is ready to go to press. A group of frontline activists has assembled over
300 pages of diagrams, descriptions of techniques and a comprehensive
overview of the role direct action plays in our campaigns in defense of
the Earth.

5) Friday, Feb 28th. Internationalist Cabaret and Bob Sheldon Award
Ceremony @ The Nightlight

Get ready for an evening filled with puppetry, dance, music, stand up,
skits, a local pie auction, and more. All proceeds of this volunteer-run
benefit will go directly to Internationalist Bookstore & Community Center
so that it can continue its work as an activist and social center
dedicated to promoting progressive education and resources.
Internationalist Books and Community Center has served Chapel Hill and
Carrboro communities for over 30 years. To show your continued support,
come out to the Internationalist Cabaret on at The Nighlight located at
405 1/2 W. Rosemary S. The event begins at 9 p.m.
Entrance at the door is $5-20.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- 5)
6)Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday from 1 – 4 pm in Carrboro.

For 7 years the Internationalist Prison Books Collective has been sending
books and resource guides, by request, to thousands of prisoners all over
the South. Whether a prisoner is teaching themselves to read, filing a
grievance, or organizing on the inside, we are a lifeline.

And we need your help! Due to an increase in requests, we desperately need
people to help open prisoners' letters and fill packages. It's a simple
and fulfilling way to make a difference and show people they aren't
forgotten.

Every Sunday @ 1pm email us or go to our website prisonbooks.info for more
information.

If you can't make it for a workday then please make a monetary donation to
help us continue this vital work.
https://www.wepay.com/donations/prison-books-monthly-sustainer