ch-scene - [wxyc-playlists] WXYC's Top 20 Albums of 2013

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: WXYC playlists <wxyc-playlists AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: wxyc-playlists AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-playlists] WXYC's Top 20 Albums of 2013
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:15:16 +0000

Hello DJs, labels, community members and unwilling subscribers!

Below are WXYC's top 20 albums of 2013, as voted on by the DJ body and as
revealed last night on our Thursday Night Feature. Also peep the bottom for
our station manager, programming director, and music directors' personal
top 20s.

*WXYC's Top 20 Albums of 2013*
1. Chance the Rapper- Acid Rap (Save Money)
2. Lonnie Holley- Keeping a Record of It (Dust To Digital)
3. Kelela- Cut 4 Me (Fade To Mind)
4. Kanye West- Yeezus 5. Danny Brown- Old (Fool's Gold)
6. Julia Holter- Loud City Song (Domino)
7. Steve Gunn- Time Off (Paradise of Bachelors)
8. Circuit Des Yeux- Overdue (Ba Da Bing)
9. Run the Jewels- S/T (Fool's Gold)
10. Grouper- The Man Who Dies In His Boat (Kranky)
11. tooth ache.- Flash and Yearn (Feeding Tube)
12. Secret Boyfriend- This Is Always Where You've Lived (Blackest Ever
Black)
13. My Bloody Valentine- MBV (self-released)
14. The Necks- Open (Northern Spy)
15. Disclosure- Settle (Universal/Island)
16. Graham Lambkin & Jason Lescalleet- Photographs (Erstwhile)
17. Beyonce- S/t (Columbia)
18. Ignatz- Can I Go Home Now? (Fonal)
19. Janelle Monae- Electric Lady (Bad Boy Entertainment)
20. DJ Rashad- Double Cup (Hyperdub)

*Station Manager Olivia Branscum's Top 20 Albums of 2013*"Sometimes I think
that with such unrestricted access to so many exciting and stimulating
sounds, I lose track of what used to really move me about music. So,
instead of attempting to select my FAVORITE ALBUMS OF 2013 on the basis of
which ones I 'liked' the best (an approach which, for me at least, can veer
into the unpleasantly academic very quickly), I'm going to list the ones
that made me feel the most (in terms of intensity as well as different
emotions). I also included compilations and re-releases.

*" - Olivia *20 ~ After Dark 2 // Italians Do It Better
19 ~ Nepenthe // Julianna Barwick
18 ~ The Man Who Died in His Boat // Grouper
17 ~ Coin Coin Chapter 2 // Matana Roberts
16 ~ Recursions // Nicholas Cords
15 ~ Cut 4 Me // Kelela
14 ~ I'm A Dreamer // Josephine Foster
13 ~ Baroque // Nadia Sirota
12 ~ Acid Rap // Chance the Rapper
11 ~ Keeping A Record Of It // Lonnie Holley
10 ~ The Electric Lady // Janelle Monae
9 ~ Photographs // Graham Lambkin & Jason Lescalleet
8 ~ Open // The Necks
7 ~ Hontatedori // Taku Unami/Moe Kamura/Tetuzi Akiyama
6 ~ Transfer // Anne-James Chaton & Andy Moor
5 ~ Elegant & Detached // Pinkcourtesyphone
4 ~ Overdue // Circuit des yeux
3 ~ Music for Private Ensemble // Sean McCann
2 ~ Daytime Viewing // Jacqueline Humbert & David Rosenboom
1 ~ Cerulean Salt // Waxahatchee

*Programming Director Grant Bisher's Top 20 Albums of 2013 *1. THE
NECKS - Open
2. Graham Lambkin & Jason Lescalleet - Photographs
3. Antoine Beuger & Jurg Frey Performed By Ensemble Dedalus - Dedalus
4. Jeremiah Cymerman – Sky Burial
5. Fire! Orchestra – Exit!
6. Gaspar Claus – Jo Ha Kyu
7. John Butcher Thomas Lehn John Tilbury - Exta
8. Peter Evans - Zebulon
9. Joe Panzner & Greg Stuart – Dystonia Duos
10. Steve Gunn – Time Off
11. Taku Unami, Moe Kamura, Tetuzi Akiyama - Hontatedori
12. Ikue Mori Steve Noble – Prediction and Warning
13. Circuit Des Yeux - Overdue
14. Wolf Eyes – No Answers : Lower Floors
15. Jakob Ullman – Fremde Zeit Addendum
16. Axel Dorner & Mark Sanders - Stonecipher
17. James Rushford & Joe Talia - Manhunter
18. Antoine Beuger – Cantor Quartets
19. David Rothenberg – Bug Music
20. Donato Dozzy – Plays Bee Mask

*Music Director JJ Lang's Top 20 Albums of 2013 *1. The Ex/Brass Unbound -
Enormous Door (Ex Records)
2. Lal Waterson - Teach Me To Be A Summer's Morning (Topic)
3. SubRosa - More Constant Than The Gods (Profound Lore)
4. Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap (Save Money)
5. Circuit Des Yeux - Overdue (Ba Da Bing!)
6. Fire! - Without Noticing (Rune Grammofon)
7. Metal Rouge - Soft Erase (Emerald Cocoon)
8. tooth ache. - Flash and Yearn (Feeding Tube)
9. Richard Youngs - Regions of the Old School (MIE Music)
10. The Necks - Open (Northern Spy/Fish of Milk)
11. Laurel Halo - Chance of Rain (Hyperdub)
12. Yannis Kyriakides - Resorts & Ruins (Unsounds)
13. Raspberry Bulbs - Deformed Worship (Blackest Ever Black)
14. Kelela - Cut 4 Me (Fade To Mind)
15. Unicorn Hard-On - Weird Universe (Spectrum Spools)
16. Deafheaven - Sunbather (Deathwish Inc)
17. Lazy Magnet - Pure Psychic Zero
18. Trouble Books - Love At Dusk (MIE Music)
19. Okkyung Lee - Ghil (Ideologic Organ)
20. Ant Parade/No Milk (Hot Releases)

*Music Director Joe Woodruff's Top 20*
20. Anne-James Chaton & Andy Moor - Transfer (Unsounds)
19. Bitchin Bajas - Krausened EP (Permanent)
18. Circle - 6 Day Run OST (Full Contact)
17. Donato Dozzy - Plays Bee Mask (Spectrum Spools)
16. The Ex / Brass Unbound - Enormous Door (Ex)
15. Fire! - Without Noticing (Rune Grammofon)
14. Innode - Gridshifter (Editions Mego)
13. Jenny Hval - Innocence Is Kinky (Rune Grammofon)
12. Kaboom Karavan - Hokus Fokus (Miasmah)
11. Kelela - Cut 4 Me (Fade To Mind)
10. Lal Waterson - Teach Me To Be a Summer's Morning (Topic)
9. Lazy Magnet - Pure Psychic Zero (self-released)
8. Meridian Bros. - Devocion (Works 2005-2011) (Staubgold)
7. My Buddy Valentine - m t v
6. John Tchicai - Tribal Ghost (NoBusiness)
5. The Necks - Open (Northern Spy)
4. Roly Porter - Life Cycle of a Massive Star (Subtext)
3. S.O.S. - Looking For The Next One (Cuneiform)
2. Taku Unami / Moe Kamura / Tetzuki Akiyami - Hontatedori
1. Xiu Xiu & Eugene Robinson - Sal Mineo (Important)

  • [wxyc-playlists] WXYC's Top 20 Albums of 2013, WXYC playlists, 01/10/2014