ch-scene - [Internationalist] Tomorrow! NYE Noise Demo @ Durham Jail! Go!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Tomorrow! NYE Noise Demo @ Durham Jail! Go!
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 07:44:15 -0800

Hello wonderful friends of I Books,

In this email You will find info on these events:

1) DRONE SURVIVAL GUIDE – Now Available @ I-Books

2) Tues. Dec. 31st - Annual New Year's Eve Noise Demo @ Durham Jail

3) Sat. Jan 4th - "The Garden" Film Screening @ I Books

4) Tues Jan. 7th - Brody Wood- Queer Poetry @ I Books

5) Wed. Jan. 8th - Trans Discussion Night (Open) @ I Books

6) Thur. Jan 9th- Graffiti Movie Night @ I Books

7) Wed. Jan. 15th- Political Prisoner Letter Writing @ I Books

8) Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday from 1 – 4 pm in Carrboro

9) Bubble Envelope Mailers Needed

SURVIVAL GUIDE.

Our ancestors could spot natural predators from far by their silhouettes.
Are we equally aware of the predators in the present-day? The Federal
Aviation Administration (FAA) predicted in 2012 that within 20 years there
could be as many as 30.000 drones flying over U.S. Soil alone. As robotic
birds will become commonplace in the near future, we should be prepared to
identify them. This document contains the silhouettes of the most common
drone species used today and in the near future. Each indicating
nationality and whether they are used for surveillance only or for deadly
force. All drones are drawn in scale for size indication. From the
smallest consumer drones measuring less than 1 meter, up to the Global
Hawk measuring 39,9 meter in length.

drones!The text guide here contains tactics for hiding from drones and
interfering with the drones’ sensors, collected from various online
sources. Health Ranger’s intelligence analysis of military drones:
payloads, countermeasures and more’, by Mike Adams and ‘The Al-Qaida
Papers – Drones’, Associated Press, Feb 2013.

2) Tuesday December 31st - Annual New Year's Eve Noise Demo

@ 7:30pm at the jail in downtown Durham, 217 S. Mangum St.
http://wp.me/p18Qq1-12t

A ban on pencils in cells. A one-hour decrease in rec time, unexplained.
C.O Brutality covered up. An inmate death barely mentioned. Arbitrary
rules on visitor IDs. And all of this on top of the usual: innutritious
food, exorbitant phone and commissary prices, medical inattention and long
detentions without court appearances.

But many prisoners at the Durham jail haven’t been taking this repression
sitting down, and in fact have come together in the past year to protest
these conditions through various means, including petitions, slow downs,
and by writing about their experiences (check out: amplifyvoices.com).
Please come to show your support and solidarity with them and all
prisoners and your commitment to doing what you can to tear down the walls
in 2014.

For several years, people all over the world have chosen to protest prison
society and celebrate the struggles of people behind bars on New Year’s
Eve. For the third year in a row, we are coming together at the Durham
jail, the modern day plantation that sits adjacent to the symbol Durham’s
glittering night life–the Performing Arts Center (DPAC)–and the carefree
‘cool’ downtown exemplified by American Tobacco Campus. The Durham County
Detention Center warehouses human beings and is part of a society that
snuffs out potential and destroys real community. We’ll come together the
final night of 2013 to show our solidarity and express our rage and bring
light to the struggles taking place in Durham and throughout prisons and
jails in North Carolina (and beyond).

As a Durham jail prisoner recently wrote: “The Justice system has its
claws sunk deep and it will take a hell of a lot to change and uproot
(it).” How true—but it can and must be done. Come join us to point the way
toward deepening struggles in 2014. Bring anti- prison banners and flags,
drums, pots and pans, and anything that makes light and noise. Bring your
hopes and visions for struggle in 2014, and your rage and anger for the
prison system that locks up our friends, comrades, and family members.

3) Saturday January 4th - "The Garden" Film Screening
@ Internationalist Books @ 7pm

Join us for a free screening of "The Garden." The South Central Farmers of
urban Los Angeles fight landlords, politicians, and police in their
efforts to maintain the largest autonomous urban farm in the country.

4) Tuesday January 7th - Brody Wood- Queer Poetry @ I Books @ 7pm

Brody Wood, antiassimilationist queer writer from Maine, will read poems
about dysphoria, trauma, living with an injury, and falling in love.

5) Wed. Jan. 8th - Trans Discussion Night (Open) @ I Books @ 8pm

Support/discussion group for people who identify as trans, gender queer,
or gender-questioning and their allies.

6) Thursday January 9th- Graffiti Movie Night @ I Books @ 7pm

This month we are showing the movie VIGILANTE VIGILANTE. This is a movie
about a new breed of crime-fighter now stalks the urban landscape: the
anti-graffiti vigilante. These dedicated blight-warriors stop at nothing
to rid their neighborhoods and cities of street art, stickers, tags, and
posters.

Yet several of these vigilantes have become the very menace they set out
to eliminate. In their relentless attempt to stamp out graffiti, they have
turned to illegally and destructively painting other people’s property.
VIGILANTE VIGILANTE is the story of two filmmakers who set out to expose
these mysterious characters and discover a battle of expression that
stretches from the streets to academia.

7) Wednesday January 15th- Political Prisoner Letter Writing @ I Books @ 7pm

The Internationalist Prison Books Collective brings you this month’s
Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night!

Write letters and birthday cards to political prisoners whose birthdays
fall during the month of January.

It’s an easy way to let these people know they aren’t forgotten. If you
can’t make it to the letter writing night then please send a birthday card
from home.

8) Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday from 1 – 4 pm in Carrboro.

For 7 years the Internationalist Prison Books Collective has been sending
books and resource guides, by request, to thousands of prisoners all over
the South. Whether a prisoner is teaching themselves to read, filing a
grievance, or organizing on the inside, we are a lifeline.

And we need your help! Due to an increase in requests, we desperately need
people to help open prisoners' letters and fill packages. It's a simple
and fulfilling way to make a difference and show people they aren't
forgotten.

Every Sunday @ 1pm email us or go to our website prisonbooks.info for more
information.

9) Bubble Envelope Mailers Needed

We need bubble mailer envelopes! We're selling books online to help fund
our prison book project and we need bubble mailer envelopes. Please help
us out. If you don't have any bubble mailers please consider helping us by
becoming a monthly sustainer of our work or making a one-time donation.
Your generosity not only feeds our work, it is a part of it. Pooling
resources is resistance in action.
https://www.wepay.com/donations/prison-books-monthly-sustainer