ch-scene - [Internationalist] Protests, Gifts, Holiday Cards, and More!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Protests, Gifts, Holiday Cards, and More!
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 15:23:19 -0800

Hello I Books people,

In this email You will find info on these events:

1) Give Great Gifts and Support Internationalist Books and Community Center

2) Wed. Dec. 11th - Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night- help us send
out Winter Solstice holiday cards to every political prisoner in the U$A

3) Sat. Dec. 14th - Anarchists Against The Wall

4) Wed. Dec. 18th - Trans Discussion Night Closed

5) Thurs. Dec. 19th - Justice for Chuy! March to Prayer and Candlelight

6) Wed. Dec. 25th - Christmas Caroling at Central Prison

7) Tues. Dec. 31st - Annual New Year's Eve Noise Demo @ Durham Jail

8) Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday from 1 – 4 pm in Carrboro

9) Hillsborough Road Coop Seeks New Member

10) Bubble Envelope Mailers Needed

1) Give Great Gifts and Support Internationalist Books and Community Center

We have a ton of wonderful books, art, calendars, journals, and gift
certificates in stock right now! They would all make great gifts this
winter season, and they all support independent and local projects,
publishers and artists, as well as Internationalist Books and Community
Center. With all the amazing events, meetings, and programs we have going
on, your support is incredibly important to us keeping our space open as a
resource for organizing and community in NC!

As always, we have a great mix of new and used books, magazines and zines,
including some brand new books and zines we got from tablers and
presenters at the Carrboro Anarchist Bookfair, as well as new stuff from
favorite publishers like AK Press, and new titles from small presses and
direct from their authors, like Scars/Stars by Walidah Imarisha.

Here are some of the highlights of other special stuff we’ve gotten in
stock in time for the gift-giving season: http://wp.me/p23E8S-kg

2)Wednesday December 11th - Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night

This month help us address our winter solstice holiday card to every
political prisoner in the U$A. We'll also write letters and birthday cards
to political prisoners whose birthdays fall during the month of December.
This is an easy way to let these people know they aren’t forgotten. These
men and women fought for many of the freedoms we take for granted today.
If
you can’t make it to the letter writing night then please send a birthday
card from home. http://wp.me/p18Qq1-10D

3) Sat. Dec. 14th - The Soldier and the Refusenik: Anarchists against the
Wall 7pm @ I Books - Free, but donations strongly encouraged

A national advocacy/fundraising tour for the legal fund that sustains the
Israeli/Palestinian peace movement's lawyers, representing Palestinian,
Israeli and International activists who get arrested during demonstrations
and other direct actions.

4) Wed. Dec. 18th - Trans Discussion Night @ 8pm (Closed)

Support/discussion group for people who identify as trans, gender queer,
or gender-questioning.

5) Thursday December 19th - Justice for Chuy! March to Prayer and
Candlelight @ 7pm - meet at CCB Plaza in Durham then march to police
headquarters

December 19th is approaching, and it will be 1 month since Chuy's death.

Chuy's family really appreciated all the support that we showed as a
community on the last march. They felt strong and energized by seeing that
the Durham community and the Triangle cares about this struggle and cares
about justice.
We haven't lost any energy or momentum and we will continue to demand
justice and answers.

Please join us again and bring more friends for a vigil in remembrance of
Chuy's Life.

The purpose of this demonstration will be to light a candle in remembrance
of Chuy and to lay flowers at the place where he passed away. This
demonstration will be filled with a spirit of peace; this way we can be
sure that the family is able to light this candle and say their prayers in
honor of our beloved Chuy without being interrupted by the police.

This will be done to show respect for Chuy and his family. NOT to show
respect for the police or anyone who wishes to quiet our demands, our
anger, and our grief. The police are responsible for what happened to Chuy
and we will not bend to their intimidation. With this we show our unity
behind the struggle!

This will not be the last of our marches!

Please bring a candle and let us show that Chuy's light will never be
extinguished!

Please bring flowers and let us show that you can crush a flower but you
can't stop the spring!

Jesús "Chuy" Huerta: PRESENTE!

https://www.facebook.com/events/449931465119241/

6) Wednesday December 25th - Christmas Caroling at Central Prison @ 10 AM

- Meet under the railroad trestle on Western Blvd. Enter Boylan Heights
through Boylan Ave. in Raleigh

All are invited to the Fr. Charlie Mulholland Catholic Worker House annual
Christmas morning witness and caroling at Central Prison at 10 A.M. We
will rally around the perimeter of the prison on Christmas morning to
sing carols. Drummers will also be there to make a joyful noise. We hold a
big Merry Christmas sign and bring the only cheer the inmates get on
Christmas (The warden does not allow visiting on Christmas to give more
guards the day off). Singing starts around 10 am. Believe me, this is a
great way to remember what the season is about. Peace and Blessings,
Patrick O’Neill

7) Tuesday December 31st - Annual New Year's Eve Noise Demo

@ 7:30pm at the jail in downtown Durham, 217 S. Mangum St.
http://wp.me/p18Qq1-12t

A ban on pencils in cells. A one-hour decrease in rec time, unexplained.
C.O Brutality covered up. An inmate death barely mentioned. Arbitrary
rules on visitor IDs. And all of this on top of the usual: innutritious
food, exorbitant phone and commissary prices, medical inattention and long
detentions without court appearances.

But many prisoners at the Durham jail haven’t been taking this repression
sitting down, and in fact have come together in the past year to protest
these conditions through various means, including petitions, slow downs,
and by writing about their experiences (check out: amplifyvoices.com).
Please come to show your support and solidarity with them and all
prisoners and your commitment to doing what you can to tear down the walls
in 2014.

For several years, people all over the world have chosen to protest prison
society and celebrate the struggles of people behind bars on New Year’s
Eve. For the third year in a row, we are coming together at the Durham
jail, the modern day plantation that sits adjacent to the symbol Durham’s
glittering night life–the Performing Arts Center (DPAC)–and the carefree
‘cool’ downtown exemplified by American Tobacco Campus. The Durham County
Detention Center warehouses human beings and is part of a society that
snuffs out potential and destroys real community. We’ll come together the
final night of 2013 to show our solidarity and express our rage and bring
light to the struggles taking place in Durham and throughout prisons and
jails in North Carolina (and beyond).

As a Durham jail prisoner recently wrote: “The Justice system has its
claws sunk deep and it will take a hell of a lot to change and uproot
(it).” How true—but it can and must be done. Come join us to point the way
toward deepening struggles in 2014. Bring anti- prison banners and flags,
drums, pots and pans, and anything that makes light and noise. Bring your
hopes and visions for struggle in 2014, and your rage and anger for the
prison system that locks up our friends, comrades, and family members.

8) Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday from 1 – 4 pm in Carrboro.

For 7 years the Internationalist Prison Books Collective has been sending
books and resource guides, by request, to thousands of prisoners all over
the South. Whether a prisoner is teaching themselves to read, filing a
grievance, or organizing on the inside, we are a lifeline.

And we need your help! Due to an increase in requests, we desperately need
people to help open prisoners' letters and fill packages. It's a simple
and fulfilling way to make a difference and show people they aren't
forgotten.

Every Sunday @ 1pm email us or go to our website prisonbooks.info for more
information.

9) Hillsborough Road Coop Seeks New Member

The Hillsborough Road Co-op (HRC) is searching for a new member. We hope
to find any individual who is interested in participating in our unique
cooperative housing project.

More than a room for rent, the HRC represents an opportunity for the new
member to live in an open, democratic community, one with on site space
and resources to assist them in pursuing their various ideas and projects.
The HRC is consist of two buildings sited on one acre of land within
walking distance of downtown Carrboro. Along with indoor studio space, the
property holds two outdoor workshops, a vegetable garden and perennial
fruit projects.

We aspire to use our house to provide a center and community space for
meetings, workshops, cultural and artistic events, to be as economically
and environmentally self sufficient as possible and to share skills and
provide a space to learn and develop as housemates, and with the larger
community.

One bedroom is available, at $350 flat -- including utilities. Interested
applicants should send an email providing information about themselves. We
are especially interested in learning what you like to do, and what ideas
you are most excited about. We will be available to give tours and further
explain the nature of the cooperative upon request.

Respond to Craig's List Ad if Interested:
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/roo/4214968654.html

10) Bubble Envelope Mailers Needed

We need bubble mailer envelopes! We're selling books online to help fund
our prison book project and we need bubble mailer envelopes. Please help
us out. If you don't have any bubble mailers please consider helping us by
becoming a monthly sustainer of our work or making a one-time donation.
Your generosity not only feeds our work, it is a part of it. Pooling
resources is resistance in action.
https://www.wepay.com/donations/prison-books-monthly-sustainer

Solidarity Forever,
Internationalist Books and Community Center

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: