ch-scene - [Internationalist] So Many Events!!!!!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] So Many Events!!!!!
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 14:24:44 -0800

Dear Members,

In this email You will find info on these events:

1) Tues. Nov. 5th - Graffiti Movie Night @ I Books

2) Wed. Nov. 6th – Trans Discussion Group (closed) @ I Books

3) Thurs. Nov. 7th -The Ongoing Uprising In Brazil @ UNC

4) Thurs. Nov. 7th – The Growing Threat: Genetically Engineered Trees &
the Future of Forests @ NC State

5) Fri. Nov. 8th – Queer Youth Drop In Night @ I Books

6) Sat. Nov. 9th – Folk Punk Show w/ Billy Liar, Rio de la Muerte, Elayna
Madden @ I Books

7) Mon. Nov. 11th – Climate Chaos Reading Group @ I Books

8) Tues. Nov. 12th - Witness for Peace Southeast Speaking Tour: Colombian
Activist Anibal Perez

9) Wed. Nov. 13th - Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night

10) Thurs. Nov. 21st - The Gezi Park Uprising in Turkey @ UNC

11) Sat. Nov. 23rd - Carrboro Anarchist Bookfair @ Nightlight and I Books

12) Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday from 1 – 4 pm in Carrboro.

13) Bubble Envelope Mailers Needed

1) Tuesday Nov. 5th - Graffiti Movie Night @ I Books 7pm

“Bomb It” Award-winning director Jon Reiss traces the history of graffiti
and tracks down today’s most innovative and pervasive street artists as
they battle for control over the urban visual landscape. Old school
legends and current favorites: Taki 183, Cornbread, Stay High 149, T-Kid,
Cope 2, Zephyr, Revs, Os Gemeos, KET, Chino, Shepard Fairey, Revok, Mear
One
ANOTHER GRAFFITI NIGHT IN TWO WEEKS! Tues,11/19

2) Wednesday Nov. 6th – Trans Discussion Group (closed) @ I Books 8pm

Trans Discussion Group, co-hosted by the North Carolina Harm Reduction
Coalition and Internationalist Books, is a bi-monthly support/discussion
group for people who identify as trans, genderqueer, or
gender-questioning. Our meetings will provide a safe space for folks to
share and process experiences, be of support to one another, and organize
around issues that affect the trans community.

Since June 2013, social movements across Brazil have erupted in protest
over diverse issues from political corruption to police repression. We’ll
share videos and eye-witness testimony from resistance in the anti-fare
hike, teacher’s union, and autonomous movements. Brazil is just the latest
uprising in the wave of revolutions that has touched Northern Africa,
Greece, Spain, the United States, and Turkey.

4) Thursday Nov. 7th – The Growing Threat: Genetically Engineered Trees &
the Future of Forests @ 7pm @ NC State Building 1911 Room 111

Genetically Engineered (GE) trees pose an enormous risk to the biodiverse
forests of the southeastern US. GE trees are being promoted for use in
industrial monoculture plantations for timber, pulp and bioenergy. GE
trees like the highly invasive, flammable eucalyptus are being pushed as
‘climate solutions’ despite the enormous human health and ecological
risks. Native pine and poplar are being engineered to replace more
conventional varieties, running the risk of genetic contamination,
herbicide-producing trees and increased plantations. Right now there are
GE test plots all over the southeast and the USDA is currently considering
commercializing them for the first time in history. It’s not to late to
stop it in its tracks!

Come learn about the important work being done to stop this threat, share
your knowledge and let’s work together in the global fight to protect
forest biodiversity.

5) Fri. Nov. 8th – Queer Youth Drop In Night @ I Books 5-8pm

A space for local queer youth to meet up and build community.
Conversation! Solidarity! Snacks!

6) Sat. Nov. 9th – Folk Punk Show w/ Billy Liar, Rio de la Muerte, Elayna
Madden @ I Books 7pm $5-$10 sliding scale

BILLY LIAR
(Scotland's finest angry young man brings honesty on acoustic guitar)
http://www.billyliarmusic.com/

RIO DE LA MUERTE
(haunting, spooky stuff. resurrected from la muerte!)
http://riodelamuerte.bandcamp.com/

ELAYNA MADDEN
(hometown hero)
http://www.reverbnation.com/elaynamadden
7) Mon. Nov. 11th – Climate Chaos Reading Group @ I Books
7pm 11/11-Desert: Pages 30-55.
7pm 11/18-Storming the Breach.

For years we have been hearing that we had only a few years to head-off
catastrophic, self-perpetuating climate disruption. This Summer, as half
the country burned and the other half flooded, many of us realized: We
have arrived. What does it mean to be an environmentalist, an
anti-authoritarian, a person who cares, and stay active while
acknowledging that the climate ship has sailed? What doors have closed to
us? Have others opened? Can crisis double as opportunity? And our foes;
how are they taking advantage of the situation?

Come read and discuss two texts about these subjects with us at
Internationalist Books 405 W. Franklin St. at 7pm Mondays through
November. Zine Pack available for $5 at Internationalist
Books.

Texts also available here:

http://zinelibrary.info/desert

http://hurricaneparty0.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/storming-the-breach.pdf

8) Tues. Nov. 12th - Witness for Peace Southeast Speaking Tour: Colombian
Activist Anibal Perez 8pm

This year's tour features Anibal Perez, a Colombian activist credited
with making public the January 13th Drummond coal spill. Anibal will
speak about the harsh environmental and labor abuses that are
occurring in Colombia, as well as the will of the Colombian people to
fight back in the face of death threats. He is eager to discuss the
illnesses that have risen in prevalence since coal mining operations
have sprung up and raise awareness about the impacts coal mining has
had on communities, workers, and farmers.

9) Wed. Nov. 13th - Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night

The Internationalist Prison Books Collective brings you this month’s
Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night! Write letters and birthday cards
to political prisoners whose birthdays fall during the month of November.
It’s an easy way to let these people know they aren’t forgotten. These men
and women fought for many of the freedoms we take for granted today. If
you can’t make it to the letter writing night then please send a birthday
card from home.

10) Thursday Nov. 21st - The Gezi Park Uprising in Turkey @ 6pm @ Hanes
Art Center on UNC Campus

During the month of June every major city in Turkey saw tens of thousands
of people converge in the streets in defiance of the government and its
autocratic rule. What started at the end of May in Istanbul as a movement
against urban development resonated across the country and became an
uncontrollable revolt spreading like wildfire. Catching everyone,
including its participants, off-guard the uprising captivated the
imagination of people in Turkey as well as those following it across the
globe. Although it would appear from a distance that the Gezi Spirit has
subsided, in reality it has ushered in a new era and form of rebellion in
Turkey.

Join us to hear a first-hand report from Istanbul, accompanied by photos
and videos, outlining the progression of the uprising, some of its
constituents, their strategies, the reconciliation of social divisions,
contradictions on the ground and stories from the heady days filled with
teargas and barricades. The discussion will include an overview of where
the Gezi Resistance finds itself today, months after the first
street-level revolts.

Learn more here:
http://www.crimethinc.com/blog/2013/07/04/interview-anarchists-in-the-turkish-uprising/
http://www.crimethinc.com/blog/2013/06/19/postcards-from-the-turkish-uprising/

11) Sat. Nov. 23rd - Carrboro Anarchist Bookfair @ Nightlight and I Books

The fourth annual Carrboro Anarchist Book Fair will take place in Chapel
Hill, North Carolina on November 23, 2013! Please join us for an exciting
weekend of discussions, bibliophily, entertainment… and surprises.

North Carolina has earned a reputation as a hub of anarchist organizing
and publishing. Two years ago, at the peak of Occupy, the 2011 Carrboro
Anarchist Book Fair climaxed with the occupation of a vacant building
downtown, drawing attention from around the world. Last summer, North
Carolina hosted the nationwide gathering of the radical environmentalist
Earth First! network, while in nearby Durham, anarchists participated in
spirited demonstrations against the murder of Trayvon Martin. Come learn
about the ideas driving these events, and connect with local and regional
projects.

12) Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday from 1 – 4 pm in Carrboro.

For 7 years the Internationalist Prison Books Collective has been sending
books and resource guides, by request, to thousands of prisoners all over
the South. Whether a prisoner is teaching themselves to read, filing a
grievance, or organizing on the inside, we are a lifeline.

And we need your help! Due to an increase in requests, we desperately need
people to help open prisoners' letters and fill packages. It's a simple
and fulfilling way to make a difference and show people they aren't
forgotten.

Every Sunday @ 1pm email us or go to our website prisonbooks.info for more
information.

13) Bubble Envelope Mailers Needed

We need bubble mailer envelopes! We're selling books online to help fund
our prison book project and we need bubble mailer envelopes. Please help
us out. If you don't have any bubble mailers please consider helping us by
becoming a monthly sustainer of our work or making a one-time donation.
Your generosity not only feeds our work, it is a part of it. Pooling
resources is resistance in action.
https://www.wepay.com/donations/prison-books-monthly-sustainer

Thanks for Reading,
Solidarity Forever,
Internationalist Books and Community Center

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: