ch-scene - [Internationalist] Book Sales, Radical Rush, and More

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Book Sales, Radical Rush, and More
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 07:47:56 -0700

Dear Members,

In this email You will find info on these events:

1)Today! Wed. Sep. 4th-Panel on Internationalist Books and Social
Movements in Chapel Hill/Carrboro @ I books

2)Tonight! Wed. Sep. 4th-The Police State in North Carolina: surveillance
and repression against activists in North Carolina @ UNC

3)Thurs. Sep. 5th-“Capitalism & Resistance in the 21st Century,” presented
by CrimethInc. @ UNC

4)Fri. Sep. 6th The March Against Bullshit @ UNC

5)Sat. Sep. 7th – Sep. 14th – Sliding Scale Sidewalk Sale!@ I Books

6)Sun. Sep. 8th - Prison Books Benefit Book sale in Carrboro

7)Wed. Sep. 11th – Trans Discussion Group (closed) @ I Books

8)Wed. Sep. 18th – September Political Prisoner Letter Writing @ I Books

9)CA Hunger Strike Solidarity Info

1)Today! Wednesday September 4th @ I books 4pm

Panel on Internationalist Books and Social Movements in Chapel Hill/Carrboro

The panel will feature the current manager and other volunteers from the
Internationalist and folks from the Prison Books Collective, Croatan Earth
First!, the Trans Discussion Group, and other projects. This event is a
great opportunity for students new to the area to learn about one piece of
resistance history in Chapel Hill and to learn more about and connect with
local organizing projects.

2)Tonight! Wednesday September 4th @ 7pm FPG Student Union, Room 2420

The Police State in North Carolina: surveillance and repression against
activists in North Carolina

This is a talk by Eric Ginsburg.
This article by Eric Ginsburg clarifies the urgency of the matter.
http://www.yesweekly.com/triad/article-15466-under-surveillance.html

3)Thursday September 5th @ 7pm FPG Student Union Room 3408

“Capitalism & Resistance in the 21st Century,” presented by CrimethInc.

This video by CrimethInc points toward the territory they hope to cover.
http://youtu.be/FEroyfIHlmE

4)Friday September 6th @ 6pm Meet at UNC in the Pit

The March Against Bullshit

Whether your fight is against tuition hikes, white supremacy, borders,
rape culture, capitalism, homophobia, or any other kind of bu llshit, YOU
ARE INVITED to speak out against what you hate most about UNC and to take
action with others who want to see change.

5)Saturday September 7th – 14th @ I Books During normal business hours

Sliding Scale Sidewalk Sale!

Internationalist Books and Community Center is having a sidewalk sale with
hundreds of books from our used and overstock inventory. We’ve got to make
room for all the exciting new titles we’re getting in, so we’ve got some
books that need a good home!

The Sliding Scale Sidewalk Sale is your opportunity to get amazing books
and choose how much you want to pay to support the work of the
Internationalist Books and Community Center, a 30 year old non-profit
volunteer collective bookstore and community center in Chapel Hill!

You pick out the books and decide how much you want to pay for what you
find! $1 minimum per book.

6)Sunday September 8th @ 9am- 5pm (Rain or Shine)
@ the Hillsborough Rd. Co Op. 621 Hillsborough Rd. in Carrboro

Prison Books Benefit Book sale

This Sunday, September 8th, the Prison Books Collective is hosting a one
day book sale starting at 9am. We have hundreds and hundreds of great
books that we can’t send into prisons, but that we can send home with you.
Many left political titles, history, literature, contemporary fiction,
art, and miscellany. This sale is a benefit to raise funds for our
enormous postage costs.

This giant book sale is a great way to get some wonderful books and
support the work of the Prison Books Collective.

All Books Sliding Scale! You pick out the books and decide how much you
want to pay for what you find! $1 minimum per book.
We can take debit and credit cards.

7)Wednesday September 11th @ 8pm @ I Books

Trans Discussion Group (closed)

This week is a closed meeting: a safe space for people who identify as
transgender or gender-nonconforming.

8)Wednesday September 18th @ 7pm @ I Books

September Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night

The Internationalist Prison Books Collective brings you this month’s
Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night! Write letters and birthday cards
to political prisoners whose birthdays fall during the month of September.
It’s an easy way to let these people know they aren’t forgotten. These men
and women fought for many of the freedoms we take for granted today. If
you can’t make it to the letter writing night then please send a birthday
card from home. You can find their addresses here: http://wp.me/p18Qq1-SS

9)We're entering the 8th week of the CA Hunger Strike

This is a truly historic struggle for freedom and dignity. Please join
others in our community and around the world in putting pressure on CA
state government to end this torture. Don't sit this one out.

Background and Call To Action

8 weeks ago more than 30,000 California prisoners initiated an indefinite
hunger strike. They are calling on the Governor and the CDCR to meet their
5 Core Demands.

California holds nearly 12,000 people in extreme isolation at a cost of
over $60 million per year. The cells have no windows, and no access to
fresh air or sunlight. The United Nations condemns the use of solitary
confinement for more than 15 days as torture, yet many people in
California state prisons have been encaged in solitary for 10 to 40 years!

Support The Hunger Strikers: Call Governor Jerry Brown
Phone: (916) 445-2841, (510) 289-0336, (510) 628-0202
Fax: (916) 558-3160

Suggested script: I’m calling in support of the prisoners on hunger
strike. The governor has the power to stop the torture of solitary
confinement. I urge the governor to compel the CDCR to enter into
negotiations to end the strike. RIGHT NOW is their chance to enter into
clear, honest negotiations with the strikers to end the torture.

more info at: http://prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com/