ch-scene - [Internationalist] This Weekend Really Really Free Market

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] This Weekend Really Really Free Market
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 10:59:01 -0700

Dear Members,

In this email You will find info on these events:

1)Sat. June 1st The Really Really Free Market
2)Mon. June 3rd, 2nd Caliban and the Witch reading group
3)Tues. June 11th, International Day of Solidarity with Long-Term
Anarchist Prisoners
4)North Carolina Legal Services is on the chopping block- an article and
request.

1) Saturday, June 1st @ 2pm: The Really Really Free Market @ Carrboro
Town Commons

Bring something to share--take something you need!

Everyone is welcome at this monthly event at which people share goods,
services, skills, performances, stories, crafts, food, games, music,
clothing, furniture, plants, and other resources.

Better than a yard sale, the Really Really Free Market has no price
tags: there is no buying, selling, or exchanging involved. At this
market, everything is strictly free. This event is a celebration of
the cooperation and gift-giving that make life possible beyond the
constraints of market capitalism: it is an afternoon when social
status has nothing to do with what you own, and when giving and
receiving happen directly rather than being administered through an
institution or organization. As at other Really Really Free Markets
across the U.S. and around the world, we aim to create and participate
in a world in which resources are held in common, the community meets
the needs of the community, and "free" means just that: really, really
free.

2)Monday, June 3rd, 2nd Caliban and the Witch reading group @
Internationalist Books @ 7pm

The second meet-up of the Caliban and the Witch reading group is this
coming Monday, June 3rd, at 7pm at I Books. We’ll be discussing the second
and third chapters; please come with interesting topics to talk about,
points from the book you’d like to discuss, questions, etc.

If you missed the first night, it’s not too late to pick up a copy at I
Books and catch up!

For folks curious about the text, here is a description from the publisher:

“Caliban and the Witch is a history of the body in the transition to
capitalism. Moving from the peasant revolts of the late Middle Ages to the
witch hunts and the rise of mechanical philosophy, Federici investigates
the capitalist rationalization of social reproduction. She shows how the
struggle against the rebel body and the conflict between body and mind are
essential conditions for the development of labor power and
self-ownership, two central principles of modern social organization.”

3) Tuesday, June 11th @ Internationalist Books @ 7pm
June 11th: international day of solidarity with Marie Mason, Eric McDavid,
and other long term anarchist prisoners

A Letter Writing night to long term anarchist prisoners.
All supplies provided. Including Snacks!!!

More info on June 11th:
June 11th is a means to that end. June 11th is about remembering– not in
the way that we remember a fact or history, but an active remembering: a
re-membering, a putting back together. It is often easier for us to raise
money and generate material support for people who have just been arrested
than for people who have been locked away with many years in prison ahead.
This day is a time for us to concentrate our energy, resources and love on
those people, who cannot be forgotten.

June 11th has also become a staging ground for building our international
ties of solidarity. The last two years have seen an incredible show of
support from people outside of the US for Eric and Marie, and some efforts
within the US to show solidarity to long-term anarchist prisoners in other
places. This year, we hope to have more translations, more
cross-referencing of struggle, and a further broadening of solidarity that
does not take away, but adds. We refuse to recognize their borders; we aim
to make that refusal more tangible.

4) North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services On The Chopping Block

NCPLS is encouraging people to contact their state house representatives
to support their funding. You can find your representative here:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Representation/WhoRepresentsMe.aspx

The legislature is trying to cut prisoners' access to legal resources.
There proposed budget would mean the end of the important group. To read
more check out this article on the prison books blog:

http://prisonbooks.info/2013/05/24/north-carolina-prisoner-legal-services-on-the-chopping-block/