ch-scene - [Internationalist] Member Meeting Coming Up, Letter Writing, and a Protest.

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Member Meeting Coming Up, Letter Writing, and a Protest.
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 07:27:45 -0800

Dear Members,

We have a few upcoming events to announce as well as some interesting new
inventory. We recently got in Nikki McClure calendars and posters, other
calendars and organizers, a variety of artistic greeting cards, wallets,
hand bags, and journals. All of these are a great excuse to stop in and
chat with our friendly volunteers!

The Events!

This Wednesday, November 14th, @ I Books. Political Prisoner Letter
Writing Night! the Internationalist Prison Books Collective brings you
this month’s Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night! Write letters and
birthday cards to political prisoners whose birthdays fall during the
month of November. It’s an easy way to let these people know they aren’t
forgotten. These men and women fought for many of the freedoms we take for
granted today. If you can’t make it to the letter writing night then
please send a birthday card from home. You can find their addresses here:
http://prisonbooks.info/2012/11/09/address-correction-for-tim-dechristopher/

This Friday, November 16th at 4:30 is a protest of support and solidarity
for the folks in Abbey Court in front of the Collins Crossing Leasing
Office. 501 Jones Ferry Road, Carrboro, NC 27510

Why: The residents of Collins Crossing have had to contend with inadequate
living conditions, deteriorating buildings, and now sky-high rent!

Since Abbey Court Condominiums was bought and renamed Collins Crossing,
residents have experienced a jump in rent prices, going from $500 before to
now as high as $720 in some cases. This is a major problem for lower-income
families trying to find housing in Carrboro and Chapel Hill. Most of these
residents are immigrants and their income does not permit them to hire a
lawyer, something which diminishes their voice. See their facebook event
page for more info. https://www.facebook.com/events/511734668844833/

Our annual Member meeting is coming up fast. The tentative date is
December 5th and it will be hosted at at everyone's favorite restaurant:
Vimala's Curry Blossom Cafe! We'll be voting on new board members,
introducing our two new fabulous managers, and giving reports on the state
of the store as well as visions for the future. We hope to see you there.

If anyone has a free evening this week, the Conference on Race, Class,
Gender, and Ethnicity is hosting a film festival at the Law School
exploring realities faced by women in the United States.

This November, in advance of the 2013 conference "Body as Battleground:
Why the Law Continues to Fail Women," the Conference on Race, Class,
Gender & Ethnicity is partnering with Women in Law, the Domestic Violence
Action Project, Child Action, the UNC Center for Media Law & Policy, Law
Students for Reproductive Justice, and the Lambda Law Students
Association, to present a week long documentary film festival, showcasing
award-winning films about contemporary legal issues that implicate women's
rights. This festival will create opportunities for students, faculty,
and community members to think critically about women’s issues as a
lead-in to February's conference.

Dinner will be provided at each screening.

Monday, Nov. 12 | Miss Representation
7-9pm, Room 5046, Van Hecke-Wettach Hall
Trailer: http://vimeo.com/18985647

Tuesday, Nov. 13 | The Invisible War
7-9pm, Room 5048, Van Hecke-Wettach Hall
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECOqpv45tIo&feature=youtu.be

Wednesday, Nov. 14 | A Sentence for Two
7-9pm, Room 5046, Van Hecke-Wettach Hall
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY1kOiCkDto

Thursday, Nov. 15 | Screaming Queens: The Riot at Compton's Cafeteria
7-9pm, Room 5046, Van Hecke-Wettach Hall
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDefl11mCGk

Solidarity Forever,
Internationalist Books and Community Center

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: