ch-scene - [Internationalist] 1 Year Anniversary Of Occupy Chapel Hill and So Much More...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] 1 Year Anniversary Of Occupy Chapel Hill and So Much More...
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 13:54:46 -0400

Dear Members,

What an interesting year it has been. This Saturday
is the 1 year anniversary of Occupy Chapel Hill. In this email you will
find more details about the celebration for that and many other
interesting goings on, including a great Author reading on October 20th
for the excellent book 'We Are Many' which focuses on strategies of the
Occupy Movement.

THE EVENTS!

RALLY AGAINST THE ELECTORAL FARCE (the
first anniversary of Occupy Chapel Hill)
Starts at 5 PM This Saturday,
October 13th
One year ago, the birth of the Occupy movement gave many
people their first taste of a different kind of political action:
horizontal, personal, revolutionary, and direct. Occupiers, joining the
proud history of radical action, began building the bravery, forming the
bonds of solidarity, and learning the skills they need to guide their
own futures. Instead of petitioning power, they began growing powerful
together. Occupy Chapel Hill, of course, has not had a general assembly
in months, but this city is still full of people who remember how to
work together without delegating rulers, and who long for a chance to
build a better world. Don't let the television narrative describe that
entire process as merely the messy thing Obama supporters did while they
waited for an election.
On the one year anniversary of Occupy Chapel
Hill, come demonstrate that people power will always be in conflict with
with the interests of the ruling class. Come demonstrate that we are
strong, brave, ready, and committed to building our own future.
http://www.facebook.com/events/371413786271102/

THIS SUNDAY!! ALL HANDS
ON DECK!!!! Prison Books packing day Sunday October 14th. The recent
move has left the Prison Books Collective with a huge backlog. If you
are free on Sunday October 14th then please join us for a festive work
day where we hack away at the four months of letters. Please spread the
word and tell your
friends. See you there! 621 Hillsborough Rd. in
Carrboro http://prisonbooks.info

CROATAN EARTH FIRST! IS HOSTING A
DIRECT ACTION TRAINING CAMP THIS FALL Oct 20-21st at a local veggie farm
near
Pittsboro, NC. There will be tent camping available for the
weekend, and
people are free to come and go. Plan to stay until Monday
morning! This
camp will provide us with the opportunity to teach others
skills that,
we hope, will enhance their ability stop fracking from
operating in our
bioregion and to bring new energy into any
environmental campaign you'd
like to work on. Go here to register or for
more
details:
http://croatanearthfirst.com/2012/08/10/learn-skills-to-defend-the-land/

SATURDAY
OCTOBER 19TH @ 9PM- REALLY REALLY FREE HALLOWEEN SHOW! Come
in costume
(or not, but seriously, you should!) for this awesome
Halloween-themed
show featuring local punk/ska bands The Hissy
Fits-
https://www.facebook.com/thehissyfitsband?ref=ts [1] and
SiBANNAC-
https://www.facebook.com/420sibannac?ref=ts [2]

SATURDAY
OCTOBER 20TH @ 3:00PM- AUTHOR READING-- Mike McGuire has co-edited a
book that was
released by AK Press, called "We Are Many" which is a
collection of reflections on movement strategy:

"We have all been
swept up by the momentum of the Occupy movement. We have seen the
results of years of
organizing in different communities come together in
ways that few could have imagined, bolstered by the scores of people who
have left the comfort of their daily routine behind and taken to the
streets. Yet as a
movement so overflowing with new social and political
actors, we lack the framework we need to help us all to understand what
a social movement is, to understand how change has happened in the past,
understand what this moment means and what this movement makes
possible. We Are Many is a reflection on Occupy from within the heart of
the movement itself. Examining key questions--what worked? what didn't?
why?
how? is it reproducible?--the authors and activists in this
collection point toward a movement-based framework for future
organizing. Heavily illustrated and annotated, We Are Many is a
celebration of what worked, and a thoughtful analysis of what
didn't."
Facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/events/425839520808402/permalink/425839524141735/
Check
out the books here:
http://www.akpress.org/wearemany.html [3]

What a
year it has been,
Internationalist Books and Community Center

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: