ch-scene - Secret Music / 919 Noise / Jordan & the Sphinx / Savage Weekend + more!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Nightlight Booking <nightlightbooking AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Secret Music / 919 Noise / Jordan & the Sphinx / Savage Weekend + more!
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 13:55:14 -0400

*EXCITING events this week at Nightlight!*

We are thrilled to host another special Cat's Cradle show TONIGHT with
Secret Music and Trepak, the newest chamber pop/jazz project by local
Seamus Kenney. Our monthly 919 noise showcase is HOT HOT HOT on Wednesday
with former Ahleuchatistas jazz guitarist, Derek Poteat and local wXYC DJ
Joe Hendrix. Thursday celebrates a soul-old time Americana show with
Asheville's River Whyless and locals Jordan and the Sphinx.

And...then...drum roll... SAVAGE WEEKEND
FEST<http://www.facebook.com/events/290787760993652/>begins
*THIS Friday, May 18th thru Saturday, May 19th.*
Thanks to local record label and former Nightlight owner, RYAN MARTIN, for
curating this KILLER noise/ art / jazz music festival at the Nightlight!
SAVAGE WEEKEND boasts over 60 bands from all over the country. There will
be two stages, two nights and many surprises of inspiring art exploding
experiments.

It is also the LAST weekend for our current screen-printing and zine ART
Show at Nightlight! Most work has sold but there are a few more prints and
original zines for sale! Make sure to take a look! We are excited to
announce next month's ART show with local video artists, Adam Graetz and
Mark Pieterson.

Speaking of art, we are thrilled to host a Gypsy Witch Craft Fair next
Saturday, May 26th! It's a day-time sale and DIY event from 2-8pm.
Following the sale, they are curating a live music, video art and dance
party! Read below for more info on how to buy rad vintage clothes, upcycled
jewelry and homemade art wonders!

Thanks for supporting the Nightlight! Hope to see you soon!

------------------------------

mayyyoo // may // maie // wonnemund // toukokumayo //
------------------------------

Tues. 05/15
Cat's Cradle <http://catscradle.com/> Presents

Secret Music <http://secretmusic.bandcamp.com/> /
Trepak<http://nightlightclub.com/pages/www.myspace.com/trepaktheband>

Brooklyn party-rockers SECRET MUSIC are worth a click through in that li'l
link above--real melodic fuzz-filtered synth-pop party jams with some
ungodly-awesome guitar shred-out breaks that make me want to go find that
Haunted House cd I used to have then drink beer and dance. Seamus Kenney's
new pop band TREPAK opens, so arrive early in yer dancin' shoes.

*Door*: 8pm // *Show*: 8:30 pm // *Admission*: $7 //
------------------------------

Wed. 05/16

919 Noise Showcase

JOE HENDRIX <http://soundcloud.com/joe-hendrix> / LOST
TRAIL<http://www.losttraildrone.com/music.cfm>/ DEREK
POTEAT <http://soundcloud.com/derek-poteat> / XAMBUCA
<http://soundcloud.com/xambuca/sets/xambuca-live-sets/>

Door: 9pm // Show: 9:30 pm // Admission: $5 //
------------------------------

Thurs. 05/17
Jordan and the
Sphinx<http://nightlightclub.com/pages/www.reverbnation.com/jordanandthesphinx>/
River
Whyless <http://nightlightclub.com/pages/www.reverbnation.com/riverwhyless>/
Jessica
Long and the New
Kind<http://nightlightclub.com/pages/www.reverbnation.com/jessicalong>

Durham soul-Americana outfit JORDAN AND THE SPHINX heads up this show with
Boone indie-folkers RIVER WHYLESS and Durham indie-poppers JESSICA LONG AND
THE NEW KIND.

*Door*: 9 pm // *Show*: 9:30 pm // *Admission*: $5 //
------------------------------

Fri. 05/18 and Sat. 05/19
Hot Releases <http://www.hot-releases.org/> Presents:

Savage Weekend FEST 2012

*Friday Door*: 5:30 pm // *Show*: 6 pm // *Admission*: $10 per night / $15
for both nights//

*Saturday Door*: 4:30 pm // *Show*: 5 pm //* Admission*: $10 per night /
$15 for both nights//

*FRIDAY'S LINE UP*

EPAULETTES
(NY)<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc67iH51Yqk&feature=plcp&context=C407bf0aVDvjVQa1PpcFOYt49jQgEtCoa6HRBogtfxqhyk4-6OZYM%3D>

COREPHALLISM (MA) <http://soundcloud.com/lascivious-aesthetics>

SHARPWAIST (MA) <http://www.myspace.com/monarches>

ZACK KOUNS (USA) <http://www.zackkouns.com/>

CLANG QUARTET (NC) <http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet>

KNIGHT HOWLS (MA) <http://www.arkmfoam.info/knighthowls.html>

THE BODY (RI/NC) <http://www.corleonerecords.com/banddetail.asp?bandid=16>

HUMANBEAST (RI) <http://grossdomesticproduct.wordpress.com/>

VVAQRT (NC/MA) <http://lmgrovllum.org/vindex.html>

LAZER SLUT (TN) <http://www.myspace.com/lazerslut>

BLUE SABBATH BLACK FIJI (GLASGOW)
<http://bluesabbathblackfiji.bandcamp.com/>

SON OF SALAMI (VT) <http://sonofsalami.blogspot.com/>

TOOTHE ACHE (VT) <http://toothache.bandcamp.com/>

TEAADORA (IN) <http://teaadora.bandcamp.com/>

VISZK (NC) <http://www.flickr.com/photos/wierd/6010357269/in/photostream/>

MINCEMEAT OR TENSPEED (RI) <http://mincemeatortenspeed.bandcamp.com/>

FATHER FINGER (RI) <http://fatherfinger.blogspot.com/>

LAMB SKIN (PA/NC)

DIRTY MOUTH (MD) <http://fatherfinger.blogspot.com/>

TOE RING (NY) <http://soundcloud.com/toe-ring>

CANTWELL GOMEZ & JORDAN (NC)
<https://www.facebook.com/cantwellgomezandjordan>

ELECTRIC CACTUS (NC)

PONY PAYROLL BONES (GA)
<http://ponybonesoutsiderpoeticsnmusic.blogspot.com/>

CAVE BEARS (ME) <http://cavebears.suchfun.net/>

FOCUS GROUP (NC) <http://soundcloud.com/jeremylives/zeyedloc>

BODY DOUBLE (NC)

PALATHEDA (TN)

HEM OF HIS GARMENT (NC) <http://www.reverbnation.com/thehemofhisgarment>

CORNELIUS F VON STRAFFIN III (NC/CA) <http://oms-b.org/>

SPARE CHILD (NC)

CHANNEL (NC)

*SATURDAY'S LINE UP*

CONTORTIONIST JAZZ EXOTICA (VA)
<http://contortionistjazzexotica.blogspot.com/>

NEWTON (PA) <http://breathmint.net/newton>

HEAD MOLT (VA) <http://vimeo.com/3243790>

SPIRITUAL RECESS (RI) <http://soundcloud.com/tominskyalex>

RAT BASTARD (FL) <http://www.squelchers.net/>

VEHEMENT CARESS (MA) <http://vehement-caress.bandcamp.com/>

WOLF ANUS (ROME) <http://www.alexeipopov.com/2011/04/14/wolf-anus/>

RAPHAEL (NC) <http://soundcloud.com/hot-releases/raphael-track-02>

MEAGER SUNLIGHT
(RI)<http://soundcloud.com/odempress/meager-sunlight-seasons-of>
FASTER DETAIL (NC)<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiLcZdO7AMs&feature=related>

SHV (RI) <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc3fT2vBM8o>

PROFLIGATE (PA) <http://nightburger.blogspot.com/>

OUTMODE (FL) <http://morerecords.org/>

BLOODHUFF (RI) <http://bloodhuff.com/>

ANDREA PENSADO (MA) <http://www.andreapensado.com/Andrea_Pensado/Home.html>

PEDESTRIAN DEPOSIT (CA) <http://monorailtrespassing.com/pdindex.html>

HORSEBLADDER (MA) <http://scrappaperplates.weebly.com/horsebladder.html>

THE WAITRESS (NY) <http://janepain.wordpress.com/>

HUNNIE BUNNIES (MA) <http://hunniebunniebeats.blogspot.com/>

IRENE MOON (NYC) <http://irenemoon.blogspot.com/>

IRONING (FL) <http://hymnslabel.blogspot.com/>

EMBARKER (PA) <http://embarker.org/>

YOHIMBE (NC) <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Y-O-H-I-M-B-E/105894349476341>

WALL WYMYN (PA) <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLIe6Y3hfGE>

TIME GHOST (RI) <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqGWVR1-2DA&feature=related>

SLASHER RISK (NC)
<http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2009/11/slasher-risk-my-castle-of-quiet-live-session-28th-oct-2009.html>

CRAOW (FL) <http://soundcloud.com/scum-rod>

JIMMY SANCHEZ & HIS CRYSTAL BALLS (FL)

DIAMOND HYMEN
(FL)<http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/crossfade/2009/12/mp3_of_the_day_cutting_teeth_b.php>
HITHERDAXODES (NC)
<http://soundcloud.com/electriccactus/hithrdaxodes-3-10-12-live-at>

MICROCEPHALIC SUPERINTENDENT (NC) <http://retroactivedynamics.com/>

SUICIDE MAGNETS (PA) <http://soundcloud.com/the-suicide-magnets>

SAGAN YOUTH BOYS (NC) <http://lmgrovllum.org/sybss.html>

RADIO SHOCK (NY) <http://www.radioshock.org/>

HYPNIC JERK (MA)<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hypnic-Jerk/309034839113388>
GOLDMUND (NC) <http://goldmouth.bandcamp.com/>
SECRET BOYFRIEND
(NC)<http://still-single.tumblr.com/post/3695142603/horaflora-secret-boyfriend-split-lp-hot-releases>
------------------------------

early Mon. 05/21
MONDAY NIGHT TRIVIA! 9-11pm FREE

Join us for a challenging game of Trivia by our host Montgomery Morris!
Round up a team of four and
come on down to win free prizes!! very fun!!
>>CLICK FOR MORE INFO <http://nightlightclub.com/pages/schedule_Trivia.html>
------------------------------

Tues. 05/22
Trekky Records Present..

T0W3RS <http://www.reverbnation.com/t0w3rs> /
Weed<http://weed.bandcamp.com/>/ Wesley
Wolfe <http://www.reverbnation.com/wesleywolfe>

T0W3RS brings its modern electroni-psych pop to the NL for this night with
WEED, the Vancouver troupe of 'zine-pasting, rail-grinding popsters whose
BIG GUITARS shred like Mascis behind perfect sing-along songs.
Lathe-cutting, big smiling WESLEY WOLFE had a promising stint as a southpaw
pitcher for a Florida minor league team, but realized his true gift was
penning the perfect line. I bet he'll still indulge you and a pal in a game
of pickle out back if you ask nicely.

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission: *$5 advanced / $7 day of // Buy
tickets now!
<https://www.etix.com/ticket/online/performanceSearch.jsp?performance_id=1610986&cobrand=nightlightclub>
------------------------------

Thurs. 05/24
Le Weekend <http://www.reverbnation.com/leweekend> / Man
Forever<http://www.myspace.com/manforeverUSA>(Kid Millions of Oneida)
/ Conspicuous Convulsion*

*featuring Jason Aylward (Valient Thorr), Drew Robertson, Kenneth Ells
(Thunderlip, Church of Zann) and Crowmeat Bob (Savage Knights)

Indie-pop combo LE WEEKEND returns to the Nightlight with lush arrangements
that sound like Elvis Costello jamming with off-duty jazz police. MAN
FOREVER is the drum-on-drum action of Oneida trap-player KID MILLIONS,
whose 2012 solo work explores the natural drones that arise when one plays
a repetitive pattern on the kit. On record, these drones are augmented by
the sounds of dozens of guest artists, so I won't be surprised if the kid
enlists the help of other musicians on the bill for a night of spontaneous
collaboration. Openers CONSPICUOUS CONVULSION are a Wake County group that
travel along the heavier edges of experimental instrumentation, melding
metal with Zorn-like jazz-influenced exploratory rock. This will be a cool
show.

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission: *$5 //
------------------------------

Fri. 05/25
Tribute Show and Birthday Anniversary for Levon Helm

with Jeff Crawford, James Wallace, Nick Jaeger, Mark Simonsen (from the
Tomahawks and the Old Ceremony) and special guest appearances by members of
the Magnolia Collective, STAG and more!

Levon Helm shook off his mortal coil six weeks before his 72nd birthday.
Tonight, on the eve of his birthday, we're gonna celebrate the day Nell and
Diamond Helm brought into this world a boy who would grow up to influence
many of our community's musicians. Four of the absolute best purveyors of
American music in the Triangle team up to form the backing band of this
evening that will see several musicians taking on tunes that The Band and
Levon solo left us. This is a real treat, and anyone who's seen those
Hank'n'Townes tribute nights knows this will pull together a lot of
different people, so come on down to remember and sing along.

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission: *$5 //
------------------------------

Sat. 05/26
Gypsy Witch <http://gypsy-witch.com/> Craft Fair and Show

Special appearance by North
America<http://nightlightclub.com/pages/northamericamusic.bandcamp.com>and
a DANCE
PARTY to follow!

GYPSY WITCH is the fabulous trio of upcycled mistresses, River
Takada-Capel, Buffy Maske and Andrea Iocubucci. They recently held down a
hot boutique in front of the ArtsCenter for the past five months, and now
they'll bring their work to the Nightlight for another day-time craft fair!
Vintage clothes, jewelry, art and more will be for sale, and DIY tables
will be set up for cutting tees and studding shorts. After the fair, NORTH
AMERICA will entertain us with a set of post-dance, post-rock, psych rave
noise, followed by an evening of video projections and DJs curated by GYPSY
WITCH! Don't fret, there will be a night-time clothing rack for those who
come late!

*Craft Fair and Show: *2pm-8pm // * Music: *9:30pm* // Admission: *Donations
suggested //
------------------------------

Sun. 05/27
Andrew Weathers<http://nightlightclub.com/pages/andrewweathers.bandcamp.com/>/
Bryce
Eiman <http://nightlightclub.com/pages/soundcloud.com/bryce-eiman> / Rachel
Trapp <http://nightlightclub.com/pages/www.reverbnation.com/racheltrapp> / TJ
Maiani & Crowmeat Bob

Experimental electronics wizard ANDREW WEATHERS has found a home for his
technology-expanding work at the Nightlight since he was a teenager. Now a
grad student at the fabled Mills College in Oakland, we're excited to see
this homecoming show sure to bring into the room sounds never before heard
on this planet. Wisconsin's RACHEL TRAPP is a violinist who has played with
a number of rock luminaries-- on this tour she is joined on stage by Robin
Sexton and Amanda Ellis for beautiful three-part harmonies and
folk-inspired playing. Local improvisers BRYCE EIMAN and the duo of MAIANI
and BOB open.

*Door*: 9pm // *Doors: *9: 30 pm* // Admission*: $5 //
------------------------------

early Mon. 05/28
MONDAY NIGHT TRIVIA! 9-11pm FREE

Join us for a challenging game of Trivia by our host Montgomery Morris!
Round up a team of four and
come on down to win free prizes!! very fun!!
>>CLICK FOR MORE INFO <http://nightlightclub.com/pages/schedule_Trivia.html>
------------------------------

Tues. 05/29

Ill Family <http://nightlightclub.com/pages/www.reverbnation.com/illfamily>/
Holy
Wave<http://nightlightclub.com/pages/holywave.bandcamp.com/album/knife-hits>/
No
Eyes <http://nightlightclub.com/pages/www.myspace.com/noeyesband>

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission:* $5 //
------------------------------

junio // june // juin // junio // SUMMER!! june // juin //
------------------------------

Sat. 06/02
STRUT

Late 80s/early to mid-90s BritPop Mixtape Dance Party with your hosts
Creighton McMurray and Chicago-bound Jarrod Jones!

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission: *TBA //
------------------------------

early Mon. 06/04
MONDAY NIGHT TRIVIA! 9-11pm FREE

Join us for a challenging game of Trivia by our host Montgomery Morris!
Round up a team of four and
come on down to win free prizes!! very fun!!
>>CLICK FOR MORE INFO <http://nightlightclub.com/pages/schedule_Trivia.html>
------------------------------

Tues. 06/05
The Fooligans <http://somearmy.bandcamp.com/> (Homecoming Show!) / The High
Bluff / The Bamfs

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission:$5 * //
------------------------------

Wed. 06/06
Open Old Time Jam <http://www.reverbnation.com/pasmusic>

*Door*: 6pm // *Admission*: FREE //

Bring yer' ears and instruments for an open jam with some of the Triangle's
best players!
------------------------------

Thur. 06/07
Goat & Faun <http://goatandfaun.bandcamp.com/> / Joe
Blossom<http://www.facebook.com/thebloss> /
Johnny Staxx and the Durty Boyz <http://www.facebook.com/DurtyBoyz>

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission:$5 * //
<https://www.etix.com/ticket/online/performanceSearch.jsp?performance_id=1610986&cobrand=nightlightclub>
------------------------------

Fri. 06/08
Some Army <http://somearmy.bandcamp.com/> / Calico
Haunts<http://nightlightclub.com/pages/www.reverbnation.com/calicohaunts>+
more tba

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission:$5 * //
<https://www.etix.com/ticket/online/performanceSearch.jsp?performance_id=1610986&cobrand=nightlightclub>
------------------------------

Sat. 06/09
Bass Night with DJ One Duran and DJ Yugen

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission: *$5 //
------------------------------

early Mon. 06/11
MONDAY NIGHT TRIVIA! 9-11pm FREE

Join us for a challenging game of Trivia by our host Montgomery Morris!
Round up a team of four and
come on down to win free prizes!! very fun!!
>>CLICK FOR MORE INFO <http://nightlightclub.com/pages/schedule_Trivia.html>
------------------------------

Tues. 06/12
Teen Night

*Door:* TBA // *Show:* TBA // * Admission: *TBA //
------------------------------

Thur. 06/14
Boat
Burning<http://nightlightclub.com/pages/www.reverbnation.com/boatburning>"Music
for Amplified Guitar, Cello & Tape" / Janel
& Anthony <http://nightlightclub.com/pages/www.janelandanthony.com> + more
tba

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30pm // * Admission: *$5 //
------------------------------

Sat. 06/16
Ami Dang <http://amidang.com/> / LACK <http://lmgrovllum.org/lack.html>+
more tba

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission: *$5 //
------------------------------

early Mon. 06/18
MONDAY NIGHT TRIVIA! 9-11pm FREE

Join us for a challenging game of Trivia by our host Montgomery Morris!
Round up a team of four and
come on down to win free prizes!! very fun!!
>>CLICK FOR MORE INFO <http://nightlightclub.com/pages/schedule_Trivia.html>
------------------------------

Sat. 06/23
The Evil Tenors <http://theeviltenors.bandcamp.com/releases> / The Joy
Kills<http://www.reverbnation.com/thejoykills>/ The
Spacemen <http://www.reverbnation.com/thespacemen>

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission: *$5 //
------------------------------

early Mon. 06/25
MONDAY NIGHT TRIVIA! 9-11pm FREE

Join us for a challenging game of Trivia by our host Montgomery Morris!
Round up a team of four and
come on down to win free prizes!! very fun!!
>>CLICK FOR MORE INFO <http://nightlightclub.com/pages/schedule_Trivia.html>
------------------------------

Tues. 06/26
Cheezface <http://www.facebook.com/pages/CHEEZFACE/118453938181542> Kickoff
Show!

Balaz Pandi
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Balazs-Pandi/198964333447092>(Budapest)
/
CxFx <http://www.downwithsound.com/> / TJ Maiani & Crowmeat Bob

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission: *$5 //
------------------------------

Wed. 06/27
Broadcloth <http://broadclothtrio.com/> / Carl Testa <http://carltesta.net/> /
Scrimshaw

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission: *$5 //
------------------------------

Thurs. 06/28
The Dogwoods / The Harmed
Brothers<http://nightlightclub.com/pages/theharmedbrothers.com/>/
Stripmall
Ballads<http://nightlightclub.com/pages/www.reverbnation.com/stripmallballads>

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission: *$5 //
------------------------------

july // juillet // julio // juli // julius // julai // julho // iulius

Sun. 07/15
MV & EE <http://mvandee.blogspot.com/> / SNAKE + more tba

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission: *$5 //

Fri. 07/20
The Record + more tba

*Door:* 9pm // *Show:* 9:30 pm // * Admission: *$5 //

  • Secret Music / 919 Noise / Jordan & the Sphinx / Savage Weekend + more!, Nightlight Booking, 05/15/2012