ch-scene - Stuff to do, week of May 1, 2012

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week of May 1, 2012
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 18:54:45 -0400

Tuesday, May 1
Deep Sleep (http://www.myspace.com/deepsleepmusic)
Infeccion
All Day Records, Carrboro

Somewhat-rare Tuesday-night show for All Day, which leads me to
believe that Deep Sleep must be (a) on tour and (b) worth seeing.
Infeccion are a local punkrock supergroup with members of at least a
half-dozen other bands.

Tuesday, May 1
Xiu Xiu (http://www.epitonic.com/artists/xiuxiu.html)
Oulipo (http://oulipo.bandcamp.com)
Kings, Raleigh

Noted Durham-hater Jamie Stewart, Xiu Xiu mastermind, has just
released another awesome (and awesomely annoying/hard-to-listen-to)
album called Always (named, perhaps, apparently, for an Erasure song
that Xiu Xiu covered on a limited Record Store Day-only 7").

Tuesday, May 1
Systems (http://www.myspace.com/systemsnc)
HOG (http://www.myspace.com/hoggnogg)
Church of Wolves
The Casbah, Durham

M E T A L

Tuesday, May 1
Jason Kutchma (http://jkutchma.bandcamp.com/)
Franz Nicolay (http://www.myspace.com/franznicolay)
Almost People (http://www.facebook.com/almostpeople?sk=info)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

aka that guy with the mustache who used to play keyboards in the Hold Steady.

Tuesday, May 1
Diali Cissokho and Kairaba
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Diali-Cissokho-Kairaba/173915469321405)
Khaira Arby and her Band
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, May 1
Wizard Rifle (http://www.myspace.com/wizardrifle)
Atrophix
Shadows
Slim's, Raleigh

Wednesday, May 2
Tift Merritt (http://www.tiftmerritt.com)
Nick Lowe & His Band
Fletcher Opera Theater, Raleigh

Kind of a fascinating lineup, and a great venue for both bands.

Wednesday, May 2
Hanni El Khatib (http://www.myspace.com/hannielkhatib)
Sundelles
James Mathis & Summer Snow
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, May 2
Gospel Music (http://gospelmusicfla.com/)
I Appreciate Your Honesty
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Thursday, May 3
Feist
Timber Timbre
Raleigh Memorial Auditorium, Raleigh

Thursday, May 3
Once and Future Kings (http://www.myspace.com/onceandfuturekings)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, May 3
Bob Log III (http://www.boblog111.com/)
Mr. Free & the Satellite Freak Out (http://www.satellitefreakout.com/)
The Pinhook, Durham

One of the best shows I EVER saw in Durham was Bob Log III's old band,
Doo Rag, at the Duke Coffeehouse. It was utter mayhem, with drums
consisting mainly of a cardboard Budweiser box, and Bob singing
through his head-mounted telephone handset mic while flailing away
wildly at a guitar that may or may not have been tuned since leaving
the factory. It was brilliant.

I haven't seen Bob since then, but all indications are that it'll be
just as wild, only with one man playing *everything*.

Thursday, May 3
Michael Holland (http://www.bigjohnsrecords.com)
Mark Holland
The Station, Carrboro

The Holland brothers, who are identical twins, first made a serious
mark on the local music scene in the 90s with their kinda-shoegazey
band Jennyanykind. Over the years Jennyanykind evolved into a
remarkable & weird take on hypnotic southern blues-rock, while at the
same time the Holland brothers branched out into various solo
ventures. Which is a long way of saying there's really no way of
knowing exactly what you'll get at this show.

Thursday, May 3
Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears (http://www.blackjoelewis.com/)
The Preservation (http://www.wearethepreservation.com/)
Kings, Raleigh

Thursday, May 3
Filthybird (http://www.myspace.com/filthybird)
Old Bricks
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, May 3
Danny Kalb
Lockdown
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Friday, May 4
Instro-Summit
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Instro-Summit/106578046087152)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is night one of the weekend-long Instro Summit, which is three
days of instrumental garage-rock of the twangy/surfy/organy variety,
primarily. Tonight's lineup:

7pm--Killer Filler
8pm--Mystery Men?
9pm Aqualads
10pm--Weisstronauts
11pm--Destination: Earth
12am--The Madeira
1am--Kill, Baby...Kill!

Friday, May 4
Beats Antique (http://www.beatsantique.com/)
DJ Laura (http://www.djlaura.com/)
Big Freedia (http://bigfreedia.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a free show & is sponsored by some sort of presumably
abominable pre-mixed Bacardi canned beverages, to whom you must RSVP
in order to attend.

Friday, May 4
Twelve Thousand Armies (http://www.myspace.com/12000armies)
Boykiller (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boykiller/298192606861242)
Little Bull Lee (http://littlebulllee.bandcamp.com/)
The Casbah, Durham

Double treat, with the freaked-out performance-art/art-pop of
Boykiller and the freaked-out tweaky genius pop of Twelve Thousand
Armies.

Friday, May 4
Cassis Orange (http://www.myspace.com/cassisorangemusic)
Lilac Shadows (http://www.reverbnation.com/lilacshadows)
Kings, Raleigh

This is one of a number of anti-Amendment One parties happening this
weekend. Go out, have fun, have your consciousness raised -- but DON'T
FORGET TO ACTUALLY VOTE!!

Friday, May 4
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
The Magnolia Collective
The Prayers & Tears
Local 506, Chapel Hill

CD-release for the excellent new Future Kings of Nowhere EP, which
collects a handful of tracks they were playing a lot but hadn't
recorded before Shayne's extended health-related hiatus. It'll be
followed by a full-length of newer material later this year.

Saturday, May 5
Instro-Summit
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Instro-Summit/106578046087152)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Second night of Instro-Summit at the Cave. Tonight's lineup:

3:30pm--Phatlynx/Rumble Jam/I'm Branded Contest (at the Station)
7pm--Atom Bumz
8pm--9th Wave
9pm--The Surge!
10pm--Atomic Mosquitos
11pm--The Intoxicators
12am--Coffin Daggers
1am--Blood Red River

Saturday, May 5
Beach House (http://www.myspace.com/beachhousemusic)
Zomes (http://www.holymountain.com/artists/zomes)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

I hear so much Beach House at lunch nowadays that I'll forever
associate them with club sandwiches.

Saturday, May 5
Fan Modine (http://www.grimsey.com/fanmodine.html)
Organos (http://organosmusic.blogspot.com)
Flesh Wounds
Clinton Johnson
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is one of a number of anti-Amendment One shows/rallies this
weekend. PLEASE GO VOTE NOW! You don't have to wait until Tuesday. In
any case these are some freaking awesome local bands as well -- Flesh
Wounds are among my absolute favorites of the current crop of local
rock-n-rollers.

Saturday, May 5
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Bitter Resolve (http://www.myspace.com/bitterresolve)
Kings, Raleigh

Intriguing bill that spans the (probably narrow) divide between rumbly
local post-rock and some of the current crew of local loud/heavy/metal
bands.

Saturday, May 5
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Acid Mothers Temple (http://www.acidmothers.com/)
Phantom Family Halo
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Japanese heavy psych + Triad Christian noise.

Saturday, May 5
Hillbilly Herald
DIVEbar, Raleigh

Sunday, May 6
Boykiller (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boykiller/298192606861242)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Boykiller are amazing, and it's not just because of their BK
cheerleader outfits & their banners & whatnot. These songs are
simultaneously super-deep & super-shallow, & cover all the topics any
modern lady (or man) would ever care about: sex, and food, and . . .

I just hope we can figure out in advance whether any of their material
is actually legal to play on the air. 4:00 p.m. at 88.7 FM or
wxdu.org.

Sunday, May 6
Amy Ray (http://www.daemonrecords.com/beta/amy/amy.html)
Mount Moriah (http://www.myspace.com/mountmoriah)
Kooley High (http://www.myspace.com/kooleyhigh)
The Pinhook, Durham

This is a big FREE outdoor rally/rockshow against Amendment One that
starts at 6:00 p.m. in the parking lot behind the Pinhook. Mount
Moriah are first & Amy Ray is last. Then things go inside for a dance
party. Co-sponsored by WXDU and we're damn proud of it.

Sunday, May 6
Superchunk (http://www.superchunk.com)
Bob Mould (http://www.bobmould.com/)
Stuart McLamb
David Cross
Tig Notaro
Haw River Ballroom, Saxapahaw

This is an anti-Amendment One fundraiser. Tickets are $80, which
should be thought of more as a donation to help defeat the evil
anti-everyone-except-Xtian-married-couples Amendment One. Bob Mould is
solo (electric). Superchunk are Mac + Jim, acoustic. They played in
that format on WXDU last year & it sounded like this, more or less.
i.e. pretty darn good.

Sunday, May 6
Instro-Summit
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Instro-Summit/106578046087152)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Third & final night of the Instro-Summit. Here's the lineup:

7pm--3rd Expression
8pm--The Meteor Men
9pm--The Monterreys
10pm--The Rebel Surfers
11pm--Thee Icepicks
12am--NoSeRiDerS
1am--Concrete Rivals

Tuesday, May 8
Active Child (http://www.myspace.com/activechild)
Superhumanoids (http://www.myspace.com/superhumanoidsss)
Balam Acab (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Balam-Acab/321654552079)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, May 8
Kristen Marlo
Dave Hannon
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Tuesday, May 8
Lushlife (http://www.theyoungandinlove.com/)
Deniro Farrar (http://denirofarrar.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Another datum towards defining an interesting new trend, that of
touring shows making back-to-back stops in multiple Triangle cities.
In this case, these folks will also be at the Casbah in Durham on
Wednesday.

Wednesday, May 9
Big Fat Gap (http://www.bigfatgap.com/)
Grant Farm (http://grantfarm.net/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Wednesday, May 9
Omar Bajwa (http://www.soundMoon.com/omarbajwa)
Parallels (http://parallels.fm/)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Wednesday, May 9
Rocket Cottage
Alpha Cop (http://alphacop.bandcamp.com/)
Slim's, Raleigh

Alpha Cop is the latest effort from a number of local
repeat-offenders, including members of Shadow of a Great Name & Battle
Rockets. Rocket Cottage includes Russ DeSena, who has been in at least
a dozen bands in the 20 years I've known him, including the Chickens.

Wednesday, May 9
Toon (http://www.reverbnation.com/toon)
The Real Laww (https://www.facebook.com/TheRealLaw)
Lushlife (http://www.theyoungandinlove.com/)
Deniro Farrar (http://denirofarrar.com/)
The Casbah, Durham

Wednesday, May 9
Br'er (http://www.myspace.com/brrer)
Forget the Times (http://forgetthetimes.wordpress.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, May 10
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

des_ark, full-band-style, for FREE, anywhere within 90 miles of your house?
GO.

Thursday, May 10
Sinful Savage Tigers (http://www.myspace.com/sinfulsavagetigers)
Wylie Hunter & the Cazadores
The Station, Carrboro

Thursday, May 10
Hung
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Thursday, May 10
Calico Haunts (http://www.myspace.com/calicohaunts)
No Eyes (http://www.myspace.com/noeyesband)
The Pinhook, Durham

Calico Haunts are responsible for two of my favorite local albums of
the past three years -- there's a Crazy Horse meets Leonard Cohen vibe
to their music that just scratches multiple itches for me.

Thursday, May 10
Ben Sollee (http://www.bensollee.com/)
Kings, Raleigh

Thursday, May 10
Torche (http://www.myspace.com/Torche)
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Holly Hunt (http://hollyhunt.bandcamp.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, week of May 1, 2012, Ross Grady, 05/01/2012