ch-scene - [Internationalist] Events from Internationalist Books-- March 11-18

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Events from Internationalist Books-- March 11-18
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 19:14:02 -0500

THIS WEEK!

INTERNATIONALIST PRISON BOOKS COLLECTIVE WORK DAY _SUN
MARCH 11 1-4PM_

A plea from Internationalist Prison Books Collective:

"Hey friends! Prison Books continues to be a successful project that
both improves prisoners' lives and works to abolish the prison
industrial complex. Thanks to extraordinary efforts by volunteers to
expand our reach to more prisons (both men's and women's) and the
organization and communication among our comrades behind bars, more and
more folks are requesting literature.

But here's the downside. Prison
Books is now backlogged by two months and our number of volunteers who
regularly show up to work days is dwindling. We need your help! Come to
the next work day, SUNDAY, MARCH 11 from 1-4PM at 218 N. GRAHAM ST. If
you can't make it this week, come the following week and bring a
friend!

We want to make sure that we continue to respond in a timely
fashion to our friends and comrades. In celebration of Women's History
Month, I'd like to highlight the fact that a growing number of women
prisoners are requesting books and starting radical reading groups. Many
thanks to the volunteers whose hard work made this possible!"

THE WAR
ON DRUGS: A WAR ON THE PEOPLE, PRESENTATION/DISCUSSION WITH NC HARM
REDUCTION COALITION _TUE MAR 13 7PM_
The War on drugs refers to a
campaign of prohibition, foreign military aid and military intervention
being undertaken by the US government, with the assistance of foreign
nations, intended to both define and reduce the trade of illegal drugs.
This initiative includes a set of drug policies of the United States [1]
that are intended to discourage the production, distribution, and
consumption of illegal drugs.
In this session, guest speakers Robert
Childs, MPH of the North Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition and Gail
Phares of Witness for Peace discuss the negative impact of the war on
drugs on tax payers, law enforcement, North Carolinians, minorities, and
foreign nations and offer solutions for positive change.

MARCH
POLITICAL PRISONER LETTER WRITING NIGHT WED _MAR 14 7PM_

Going strong
for two years, this monthly event provides you with the opportunity to
write letters or festive birthday cards to political prisoners whose
birthday falls during the month. It's a very easy way to make someone's
day! This month, we will be writing to_ RICHARD MAFUNDI LAKE, REVEREND
JOY POWELL, NATHAN BLOCK, HUGO LA PINELL, RUCHELL CINQUE MAGEE, JAAN K
LAAMAN, AND FRAN THOMSON. _To read more about these people, visit
http://prisonbooks.info/2012/02/28/political-prisoner-birthday-poster-for-february-is-now-available-2/
[2] and download the pdf of this month's poster.

"The Pipe" Croatan
Earth First! Movie Night Thu Mar 15 7pm

In a remote corner of the West
of Ireland sits Broadhaven Bay. It is the perfect picture postcard,
where the high cliffs of Erris Head and the Stags of Broadhaven stand
sentry at the mouth of the bay against the mighty Atlantic, as if
protecting the delicate golden sands of Glengad beach and the tiny
village of Rossport, which nestles behind the dunes. However, this
peaceful tranquility belies the turmoil that lies beneath, and the
unique nature of the coastline which has sustained generations of
farmers and fishermen, has also delivered to Shell Oil the perfect
landfall for the Corrib Gas Pipeline.

'The Pipe' follows 3 members of
this small community from a quiet rural life to the arrival of Shell
into their community, and the fear and anxiety which the impending
project brings. Not only are they flung into a tumultuous struggle with
Shell and the state, but they are also forced to battle with elements
within their own campaign who seek to divide and control, as their
community is torn apart by the stresses of choosing to support or oppose
the oil company.

Trailer here: http://www.thepipethefilm.com/ [3]

CARRBORO COMMUNE GUERILLA GARDENING DAY AT PROPOSED CVS SITE _SAT MAR
17 _

"On March 17, 2012, join us in Carrboro to grow plants and
community through guerrilla gardening! The Carrboro Commune, an open
affiliation of community members concerned about the corporate
domination of public space, will collaborate with other local
organizations to transform the unused lot at 201 Greensboro Street into
a vibrant garden providing edible, medicinal, and beautiful plants for
the general public.

201 Greensboro Street and surrounding properties
are currently slated to be the site of a widely unpopular
twenty-four-hour CVS megastore. Activists occupied the building on
February 4, distributing a brochure explaining that, "Local residents
have repeatedly expressed that the site should serve some kind of
community interest rather than corporate profits… [Yet] the channels at
Town Hall offer no meaningful way for affected community members to
determine what should be here." On March 17, in solidarity with a
worldwide day of action against Monsanto and the worldwide movement for
social and economic justice, we will oppose the power of corporations
here in our community by reclaiming this space."

NEXT WEEK!

INTERNATIONALIST PRISON BOOKS COLLECTIVE WORK DAY _SUN MARCH 18 1-4PM_

Prison Books continues to be a successful project that both improves
prisoners' lives and works to abolish the prison industrial complex.
Thanks to extraordinary efforts by volunteers to expand our reach to
more prisons (both men's and women's) and the organization and
communication among our comrades behind bars, more and more folks are
requesting literature. Come to the next work day on Sunday from 1-4PM at
218 N. Graham St. If you can't make it this week, come the following
week and bring a friend!

MUSICAL PERFORMANCE ROOTZIE _TUE MAR 20 7PM_

>From Rootzie's myspace (http://www.myspace.com/therootzieband):

I've
been do'n my current musical focus (ROOTZIE) for about 5 years. One of
the most important lessons I've learned is to keep move'n forward let'n
go of all attachments to outcome.Through creative think'n I manifest
ways to make things work learn'n to trust my process along the way. I
now know how to speak for what I need, I know what I want musically, and
will not be moved from that place… ROOTZIE MEANS ROOTED, CANNOT NOT BE
MOVED!!!!!!!

"I love bring'n different players to performances"!!!
They're all listed under Musicians in this bio. These very talented,
creative musicians have at various times gifted their time and talents
to the creation of ROOTZIE ENERGY. I am thankful and I cherish "Blessed"
connection with each one of these gifted musicians.

TRANS DISCUSSION
GROUP _WED MAR 21 8PM_

Trans Discussion Group, co-hosted by the North
Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition and Internationalist Books, is a
bi-monthly support/discussion group for people who identify as trans,
genderqueer, or gender-questioning. Our meetings will provide a safe
space for folks to share and process experiences, be of support to one
another, and organize around issues that affect the trans community.

Open to anyone who needs/wants trans support.

Tea and snacks will be
provided!

AUTHOR EVENT: STEPHEN HREN, "TALES FROM THE SUSTAINABLE
UNDERGROUND: A WILD JOURNEY WITH PEOPLE WHO CARE MORE ABOUT THE PLANET
THAN THE LAW" _FRI MAR 23 7PM_
Activists striving for any type of
social change often find themselves operating on the fringes of legal
and social norms. Many experience difficulties when their innovative
ideas run afoul of antiquated laws and regulations that favor a big
business, energy- and material-intensive approach._Tales from the
Sustainable underground_ is packed with the stories of just some of
these pioneers - who care more for the planet than the rules - whether
they're engaged in natural building, permaculture, community
development, or ecologically based art.

Equally entertaining and
informative, the profiles in this highly original book provide a unique
lens through which to view deeper questions about the societal
structures that are preventing us from attaining a more sustainable
world. By examining such issues as the nature of property rights and the
function of art in society, the author raises profound questions about
how our social attitudes and mores have contributed to our current
destructive paradigm.

_Tales from the Sustainable Underground_ is a
must-read for sustainability activists in any field, or for anyone who
wants to learn about more radical forms of sustainability activities in
an entertaining way.

BEYOND!

TRANS DISCUSSION GROUP _WED APRIL 4
8PM_

CARRBORO'S LEGENDARY REALLY REALLY FREE MARKET _SAT APR 7 2PM_
CARRBORO TOWN COMMONS

Al Burian Reading _Wed April 11 7pm_

EARTH
ACTION DAY: INTERNATIONALIST WILL BE TABLING _SAT APR 14 12-5PM_

Trans
Discussion Group Wed April 25th 8pm

MUSICAL PERFORMANCE ROOTZIE WITH
CLOVER CREEK_ FRI APR 27 7PM_

NC STATE EARTH DAY CELEBRATION:
INTERNATIONALIST WILL BE TABLING _FRI APR 20 10AM-2PM_ NC STATE

__Thank you so much fo__r your continued support! We hope to see you
at some of our upcoming events!

Links:
------
[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_the_United_States
[2]
http://prisonbooks.info/2012/02/28/political-prisoner-birthday-poster-for-february-is-now-available-2/
[3]
http://www.thepipethefilm.com/
---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: