ch-scene - stuff to do, week of February 22, 2012

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of February 22, 2012
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:14:45 -0500

Wednesday, February 22
Lynn Blakey
Kevn Kinney Band (http://www.kevnkinney.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, February 22
Mates of State (http://www.matesofstate.com)
Sean Bones (http://www.seanbones.com/)
The Casbah, Durham

Thursday, February 23
Lam! Lam! (http://www.myspace.com/lamlamband)
Boykiller (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boykiller/298192606861242)
All Day Records, Carrboro

Boykiller are insane music for our insane times. Pure id unfurled and flown
like a flag.

Thursday, February 23
Corey Smith (http://www.coreysmith.com/)
The Piedmont Boys (http://www.thepiedmontboys.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Thursday, February 23
Diali Cissokho and Kairaba (
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Diali-Cissokho-Kairaba/173915469321405)
The Pinhook, Durham

Thursday, February 23
Dexter Romweber and the New Romans (http://www.myspace.com/dexterromweber
)
John Howie, Jr. & The Rosewood Bluff (
http://www.myspace.com/rosewoodbluff)
The Third Expression (http://www.reverbnation.com/thethirdexpression)
The Casbah, Durham

The New Romans are Dex Romweber's large band, and they are awesome,
although if you think he looks befuddled when playing with his sister Sara,
you should see him onstage with 8 other players.

Thursday, February 23
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Jeff Crawford
Skylar Gudasz
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, February 23
Courtney Marie Andrews
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Thursday, February 23
The Ends (http://www.myspace.com/theendsband)
Sunshine Riot
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, February 23
A Haunted Mantra (
https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Haunted-Mantra/169989586376289)
Polygons (http://www.facebook.com/polygonsband)
Naomi Wise (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Naomi-Wise/210462499009803)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, February 24
Saul Williams (http://www.saulwilliams.com/)
CX Kidtronik (http://www.facebook.com/CXKiDTRONiKmusic)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, February 24
Lie Captive
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Friday, February 24
Noncanon (http://www.myspace.com/noncanon)
The Infamous Sugar (http://www.myspace.com/theinfamoussugar)
Torpor
Lazy Janes
Kings, Raleigh

Noncanon used to be Danny Vaughn and Rob Koegler, but they broke up when
Danny moved to Philadelphia. I guess he's back now, and I'm also guessing
this'll be him solo, but I don't honestly know for sure.

Friday, February 24
Lud (http://www.ludland.com/)
Midway Charmers
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Lud are one of the truly great Chapel Hill bands of the past 20 years. They
release an album about every five years, and they play out irregularly at
best, but their music is so sublimely beautiful that you probably couldn't
handle it any more often anyway.

Friday, February 24
Other Lives
Wim (http://www.wimtheband.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, February 24
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
P-90s
B-Side Project (http://www.facebook.com/bsideproject)
The Casbah, Durham

Friday, February 24
Wesley Wolfe
Idiot Family
Handsome Foxes (
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Handsome-Foxes/215223731894012?sk=info)
The Pinhook, Durham

Saturday, February 25
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Invisible (http://www.myspace.com/invisiblesounds)
Blayloc, Durham

This show gets underway at 8:00 (and they mean it). I went to last
Saturday's version & we were pretty much done & out the door by 10, so you
can still do something else in town.

And it's *well* worth your time to check this out. Invisible are the
Greensboro ensemble who build elaborate instruments (a piano/typewriter, a
water-drip drum machine) and then craft equally elaborate shows around
them. The theme of this one is obsolescence, and it's every bit as rich and
mind-melting as a Negativland show. Highly recommended.

Saturday, February 25
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Minor Stars (http://www.myspace.com/minorstars)
La Salamandra, Durham

des_ark is currently Aimee, Noah, and Josh Nee from the Baton Rouge
sludge-metal band Thou on drums. They're getting ready to embark on a
monthlong tour of Europe, so this is the warmup/kickoff show.

Saturday, February 25
Rayland Baxter (http://www.myspace.com/raylandbaxtermusic)
Martin Sexton (http://www.martinsexton.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, February 25
The Johnny Folsom 4 (http://www.reverbnation.com/thejohnnyfolsom4)
Haw River Ballroom, Saxapahaw

Saturday, February 25
Justin Robinson & the Mary Annettes
Kings, Raleigh

It's the Wake County release party for the aggressively weird new Justin
Robinson & the Mary Annettes album. I hope a ton of Carolina Chocolate
Drops fans buy the thing and find themselves utterly befuddled by it.

Saturday, February 25
Systems (http://www.myspace.com/systemsnc)
Bitter Resolve (http://www.myspace.com/bitterresolve)
Grohg
Thorlock (http://www.reverbnation.com/thorlock)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Huge metal show, including one of my faves from the recent Bull City Metal
Fest, Bitter Resolve. I've always liked 'em on record, but live they're
about 400x better, even.

Supposedly Thorlock features at least one former Triangle resident, and
process of elimination from the Nightlight listing suggests it's Luke
Herbst, but I don't know for sure.

Saturday, February 25
Country Bears
Swordmasters of Ginaz (
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SWORDMASTERS-OF-GINAZ-aka-BATTLESTAR-CACKALACTICA/250835974932886
)
Flesh Wounds
Chapel Hill Underground, Chapel Hill

I had no idea there was pent-up demand for a reunion of the fairly obscure
Chapel Hill screamo band the Country Bears, but I guess I was just
ill-informed.

Saturday, February 25
Big Pooh (http://www.myspace.com/rapperbigpooh)
King Mez
Drique London
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, February 26
Olympic Ass Kicking Team (http://www.terryandersonrocks.com/)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (
http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Dash Rip Rock (http://www.dashriprock.net/)
Pour House, Raleigh

Sunday, February 26
The Library
JPhono1 (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jphono1/145575478840041)
J Kutchma & the 5/5ths (http://jkutchma.com/?page_id=2)
Clinton Johnson
The Pinhook, Durham

"Solo" efforts from a number of local (and formerly local) folks -- J
Kutchma from Red Collar, Matt Long from Mayflies USA, John Harrison from
North Elementary, and Reid Johnson from Schooner. Not sure if any of these
bands is 1-person anymore, though.

Sunday, February 26
Soul Khan (http://soulkhan.com/)
JSwiss (http://www.facebook.com/pages/JSWISS/144040278480)
Brody & Choch (http://brodyandchoch.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, February 26
Tristen (http://tristen.com/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, February 28
Zee Avi
Curtis Eller (http://www.myspace.com/curtiseller)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

While I still view his mustache with a healthy degree of skepticism,
there's no denying that Curtis Eller puts on one hell of a show, all loose
limbs, high kicks, yodels and nonstop banjo throwdowns. His rhythm section
is unflappable, and his stage presence is undeniable.

Tuesday, February 28
Michael Rank (http://www.sleazegrinder.com/teensleazehanoi.htm)
Marc E. Smith
The Station, Carrboro

Thursday, March 1
Heartless Bastards (http://www.theheartlessbastards.com/)
The Fling (http://thefling.us/)
Flesh Wounds
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Flesh Wounds are the highest-energy new band in town, with singer/guitarist
Monty Morris flinging himself across the stage & into the crowd, playing &
singing everything at breakneck speed and max volume.

Thursday, March 1
Peter Mulvey (http://www.petermulvey.com/)
The Casbah, Durham

Thursday, March 1
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
The Big Picture (http://www.facebook.com/pa
​ges/The-Big-Picture/369620​314091)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, March 1
Titanium Rex (http://jackwenberg.com/)
The Station, Carrboro

Thursday, March 1
Lake and Hennepin
Leland Sundries (http://www.lelandsundries.com/)
Jon Hildenstein (http://jonhildenstein.bandcamp.com/)
The Pinhook, Durham

Lake & Hennepin is one of several new-ish projects featuring Reese McHenry
of the Dirty Little Heaters.

Thursday, March 1
The New Awful
Phononova
Kings, Raleigh

The New Awful features Ethan Smith from Orifice and Andy Freeburn from
Erectus Monotone and that should be all the information you require to make
your attendance mandatory.

Thursday, March 1
The Black Ashleys
Allies Emerge (http://www.alliesemerge.com/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 1
Tripp (http://www.myspace.com/trippband)
The Virgins (http://virginsband.com/)
Morning Brigade
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------
the alt.music.chapel-hill guide to the triangle

  • stuff to do, week of February 22, 2012, Ross Grady, 02/21/2012