ch-scene - two different Felix Obelix shows this weekend, in Durham

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Wendy Spitzer <felixobelix AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: two different Felix Obelix shows this weekend, in Durham
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 12:34:35 -0500

*Felix Obelix is doing two completely different, unusual shows this weekend
in Durham. I hope to see you at one or both of them! And yes, really, these
start at 8:15 and 8:00pm. Really.*

*Wendy & Felix O.*

*Friday, February 17, 8:15pm, Manbites Dog Theatre (703 Foster Street,
Durham, NC) *– Felix Obelix will present a live performance of *Dreams of
the Rarebit Fiend: The Pet*, an animated short from the early 1920s by
Winsor McCay, one of the pioneers of early animation. Felix Obelix will
perform the live, original score to the film, on
organ/xylophone/glockenspiel/auxiliary percussion, in collaboration with
Billy Sug. This is part of the Strange Beauty Film
Festival<http://strangebeauty.org/>
(http://strangebeauty.org/), and will be included in the Friday night
block of films. Tickets to this performance/film showing can be purchased
at the Manbites Dog <http://www.manbitesdogtheater.org/389/> website:
http://www.manbitesdogtheater.org/389/

*Saturday, February 18, 8:00pm, 108 Morris St., Durham, NC* – Felix Obelix
will open for a large-scale sound/art installation by Greensboro geniuses
Invisible <http://soundsinvisible.com/>. (http://soundsinvisible.com/)
Entitled, *The New Obsolete, *Invisible will be set up in a Durham
storefront for the month of February, doing weekend performances on a
variety of handmade analog/digital instruments. One of these will be the
Selectric Piano – a typewriter rigged to “allow a typist to become an
experimental pianist. Each letter typed equals one note played.” In the
spirit of Invisible, I am going to try, in addition to the regular Felix
Obelix song, to do some live oboe+loop pedal songs. Billy Sugarfix opens,
wearing a mask, looping a theremin, plus, surprises. I've been told this
was standing-room only last weekend, so come early to get a spot. $7.

--
Wendy Spitzer / Felix Obelix
freelance editor/musician