ch-scene - [Internationalist] This Week's Events! Nov 29-Dec 4

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] This Week's Events! Nov 29-Dec 4
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 21:19:15 -0500

HERE'S A PEEK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING AT INTERNATIONALIST BOOKS IN THE
UPCOMING WEEKS!

THIS WEEK!

SHOW! KATEY SLEEVELESS AND IT'S TRUE!
_TUES NOV 29 7PM_

Adam Hawkins (It's True!) has been a staple of the
Omaha music scene in recent years, winning Omaha Entertainment Awards
two years running (Best Artist and Album of the Year, 2011; Best New
Artist and Best Indie/Alternative, 2010). His dreamy, pitch-perfect
vocals accentuate lyrically stunning, thought-provoking songs. Katey
Sleeveless has toured Europe and the U.S. singing uplifting songs of
proclamation, revolution, and love. Her latest album, 'Fight of Ages,'
was released in August 2011 on Colorado's Blank-Tape Records

DISCUSSION GROUP: DEEP GREEN RESISTANCE. _WED NOV 30 7PM_

_Join
fellow eco-warriors as they discuss the next section of the book "Deep
Green Resistance: Strategy to Save the Planet". We will be discussing
Part 2 "Organization", chapters 7-11._

For years, Derrick Jensen has
asked his audiences, "Do you think this culture will undergo a voluntary
transformation to a sane and sustainable way of life?" No one ever says
yes. Deep Green Resistance starts where the environmental movement
leaves off: industrial civilization is incompatible with life.
Technology can't fix it, and shopping--no matter how green--won't stop
it. To save this planet, we need a serious resistance movement that can
bring down the industrial economy. Deep Green Resistance evaluates
strategic options for resistance, from nonviolence to guerrilla warfare,
and the conditions required for those options to be successful. It
provides an exploration of organizational structures, recruitment,
security, and target selection for both aboveground and underground
action. Deep Green Resistance also discusses a culture of resistance and
the crucial support role that it can play.

QUEER MOVIE NIGHT: "BEFORE
STONEWALL" _THU DEC 1 7PM_

Stonewall: The Making of a Gay and Lesbian
Community

New York City's Stonewall Inn is regarded by many as the
site of gay and lesbian liberation since it was at this bar that drag
queens fought back against police June 27-28, 1969. This documentary
uses extensive archival film, movie clips and personal recollections to
construct an audiovisual history of the gay community before the
Stonewall riots.

CARRBORO'S LEGENDARY REALLY REALLY FREE MARKET! _SAT
DEC 3 2PM CARRBORO TOWN COMMONS_

_Bring something to share--take
something you need!_ Everyone is welcome at this monthly event at which
people share goods, services, skills, performances, stories, crafts,
food, games, music, clothing, furniture, plants, and other resources.

SHOW! ALLISON SELF AND BROWNBIRD RUDY RELIC, W/ RESIST NOT. _SUN DEC 4
7:30PM_

Come join your friends at I-Books for a Sunday evening chock
full of musical entertainment!

Allison Self a singer and ukulele
player. I play a mix of country blues and jazz, with some originals
thrown in as well. You can find some music and videos at the following
link:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alison-Self/79270593849 [1]

Brownbird Rudy Relic, from NYC, plays a resonator guitar and plays
holler blues. You can find some of his music on his website.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brownbird-Rudy-Relic/146815105337676 [2]

Opener:
Resist Not. Protest music; listen here:

http://www.reverbnation.com/resistnot [3]

NEXT WEEK!

TRANS
DISCUSSION GROUP. _WED DEC 7 8PM_

Trans Discussion Group, co-hosted by
the North Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition and Internationalist Books,
is a bi-monthly support/discussion group for people who identify as
trans, genderqueer, or gender-questioning. Our meetings will provide a
safe space for folks to share and process experiences, be of support to
one another, and organize around issues that affect the trans community.
Open to anyone who needs/wants trans support. // Tea and snacks will be
provided!

FORUM WITH CIRCLE ACRES. _THU DEC 8 6:30PM_

Come eat some
vittles and meet Circle Acres, a radical community out in Chatham
County!

Discuss with us how can make our land a space for earth-skill
education and food and medicine growing and processing in a way that
meets people's needs and interests. Are you interested in earthen
building, herbal medicine, food preservation, naturally grown produce,
hide work, or other DIY earth skills? We want to meet you.

BEYOND!

NCHRC DISCUSSION/PRESENTATION ON THE DRUG WAR. _TUE DEC 13 7PM_

NC
Harm Reduction Coalition will be presenting a discussion on the Drug
War. More info coming soon on our website!

__

DECEMBER POLITICAL
PRISONER LETTER WRITING NIGHT. _WED DEC 14 7PM_

Show your support of
political prisoners with December birthdays by coming to
Internationalist Books and writing them a card or letter! These people
need our love and it's a really easy way to make someone's day more
special!

TRANS DISCUSSION GROUP _WED DEC 21 8PM_

MOVIE NIGHT WITH
THE SPECTRUM DOULA COLLECTIVE "JANE" _THU JAN 12 7PM_

SHOW! INKYSKULLS
_TUE JAN 16 8PM___

Thank you so much for your continued support! We
hope to see you at some of our upcoming events!__

Links:
------
[1]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alison-Self/79270593849
[2]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brownbird-Rudy-Relic/146815105337676
[3]
http://www.reverbnation.com/resistnot
---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: