ch-scene - [Internationalist] Events at Internationalist! This week and beyond :)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Events at Internationalist! This week and beyond :)
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:44:49 -0400

REPORTBACK from Charlottesville Anarchist Bookfair (3/19)

Internationalist Books attended/tabled the Charlottesville Anarchist Bookfair
this past weekend, and it was pretty awesome. We networked with some groups
in Virginia and the weather was beautiful! Overall it was a very successful
trip :) If you're ever in Charlottesville, you should check out their space
Random Row Books on Main St. Pictures from the trip will be up on the
Internationalist Books Flickr page later in the week.

COMMUNITY EVENTS THIS WEEK

SANITATION 2 STRATEGY MEETING:Tuesday March 22 at 8pm. On Tuesday the 22nd we
will be meeting at Al McSurely's house to strategize for the next Town
Council meeting on the 28th, to consolidate our demands
and goals for the Sanitation 2 campaign, and to further discuss how we can
work together with those struggling against the gentrification of Northside.

The Council will be discussing the development plansfor downtown Chapel Hill
on the 28th, providing us an opportunity to emphasize the connections between
gentrification and the attacks on workers' rights. Folks from SOS (Sustaining
OurSelves) and the Jackson Center will be present so we can better strategize
on how we can work together for a mutually beneficial partnership.

Please email ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org to rsvp and for more
information (such as the location)

STORE EVENTS THIS WEEK

MARCH BOARD GAME NIGHT, Mon. Mar 21 @ 7pm

Come on out to our monthly Board Game Night! It currently happens on the
third Monday of every month!

We play old familiar games like Scrabble, Boggle, Scattergories, Risk, and
any card game you can imagine, but we also play new fun underground classics
like Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Dominion, and Guillotine. Bring any game
you'd like to play and there will be someone who will play with you!

Coffee, tea, and snacks will be available :)
TRANS DISCUSSION GROUP, Wed. Mar 23 @ 8pm

Trans Discussion Group, co-hosted by the North Carolina Harm Reduction
Coalition and Internationalist Books, is a bi-monthly support/discussion
group for people who identify as trans, genderqueer, or gender-questioning.
Our meetings will provide a safe space for folks to share and process
experiences, be of support to one another, and organize around issues that
affect the trans community.

Open to anyone who needs/wants trans support.

Tea and snacks will be provided!
QUEER MOVIE NIGHT: "Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin," Thu Mar 24
@ 7pm\

A master strategist and tireless activist, Bayard Rustin is best remembered
as the organizer of the 1963 March on Washington, one of the largest
nonviolent protests ever held in the United States. He brought Gandhi?s
protest techniques to the American civil rights movement, and helped mold
Martin Luther King, Jr. into an international symbol of peace and
nonviolence.

Despite these achievements, Rustin was silenced, threatened, arrested,
beaten, imprisoned and fired from important leadership positions, largely
because he was an openly gay man in a fiercely homophobic era. Five years in
the making and the winner of numerous awards, BROTHER OUTSIDER presents a
feature-length documentary portrait, focusing on Rustin?s activism for peace,
racial equality, economic justice and human rights.
LIVE MUSIC: PJB with Subscape Annex, Fri Mar 25 @ 7pm

P.J.B. aka the Psychedelic Jam Band is a collective of DIY music
producers from the Silver Spring, MD/Washington, DC area. When performing
live, PJB use synthesizers, samplers, and a certain amount of improvisation
to develop dense ambient soundscapes and atmospheric beats, creating organic
electronica that grows and breathes in their provisional environment.

About Subscape Annex: An ambient/industrial improvisational looping sound
project in Raleigh, North Carolina.
OTHER MARCH EVENTS

MEMBER PICK MOVIE NIGHT: "Persepolis," Thu Mar 31 @ 7pm

A fascinating and wholly unexpected take on Iran?s Islamic revolution
beginning in the 1970s, Persepolis is an enthralling, animated feature about
a spirited young woman who spends her life trying to deal with the
consequences of her nation?s history.

Based on an autobiographical comic book by Marjane Satrapi, the story
concerns Marji, whose natural fire and precociousness are slowly dampened by
the rise of religious extremists. Marji grieves over the imprisonment and
execution of a beloved uncle, then begrudgingly adapts to ever-tightening
rules about dress, social mores, education for women, and expectations about
marriage and divorce. Along the way, her grandmother and mother help keep
Marji grounded during her rebellious teens and encourage her to find life
beyond Iran?s borders, a decision that proves both a blessing and curse.

A unique window onto a crucial chapter of 20th century history, Persepolis is
graphically engaging with its black-and-white, bold lines and feeling of
repressed energy, fit to burst. The emotional content is so strong that after
awhile, one almost forgets the film is a cartoon.SOME APRIL EVENTS

Author Reading: "1000 Days of Celibacy," Friday April 1 @ 7pm

REALLY REALLY FREE PUNK SHOW, Don't Daddy Don't, with 9 Lives and No Brainer.
Sat. April 2, doors at 9

LIVE MUSIC: Lost Trail and More States (ambient), Mon. April 4 @ 7pm

TRANS DISCUSSION GROUP, Wed. April 6 @ 8pm

QUEER MOVIE NIGHT: "Short Bus," Thurs April 7 @ 7pm

SPECIAL EVENT! MOVIE SCREENING: "END:CIV" with director Frank Lopez, Fri
April 8 @ 7:30 pm. $6

/FOR MORE EVENTS IN APRIL, CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE
(WWW.INTERNATIONALISTBOOKS.ORG)!/

That's all for now! Check out www.internationalistbooks.org for more details
on these and other events!

<A3
INTERNATIONALIST BOOKS AND COMMUNITY CENTER
---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: