ch-scene - stuff to do, week of March 15, 2011

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of March 15, 2011
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:24:08 -0400

Tuesday, March 15
Plume Giant (http://www.plumegiant.com/)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Tuesday, March 15
No Eyes (http://www.myspace.com/noeyesband)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

No Eyes are from Raleigh/Boone/Raleigh, and at least one of them is kin to Robert Kirkland of Arrogance. The demo they sent me sort of tightropes between straight college pop & something altogether darker, weirder & more psych. Check out Endless Sea for a good example of the latter. http://www.myspace.com/noeyesband/music/songs/Endless-Sea-79843927

Wednesday, March 16
The Tranny Roadshow (http://www.trannyroadshow.org/)
Henbrain
Flavor Savers (http://www.flavorsaversmusic.com/)
Modern Day Pinocchio (http://www.myspace.com/moderndaypinocchio)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 17
Steve Reich & David Harrington: In Conversation
The Pinhook, Durham

This is an onstage conversation at 6:30 p.m. as part of the lead-up to the Kronos Quartet performance on Saturday of Reich's only three string quartets (all three written for Kronos) including the world premiere of his "WTC 9/11."

Thursday, March 17
The Breaks (http://www.reverbnation.com/thebreaksofpittsboro)
The Alcazar Hotel (http://www.myspace.com/thealcazarhotel)
Bustello (http://www.myspace.com/bustellomusic)
Reese McHenry
Spiralfire (http://www.reverbnation.com/spiralfire)
Kings, Raleigh

This is The Often Awesome Benefit, to support Greensboro musician Tim LaFollette in his struggle with ALS, and to support & promote the Often Awesome Army, an organization of Tim's friends that has grown to much more than support for Tim. They'll be screening an episode of the award-winning web documentary/video diary about Tim.

And, in addition to the bands listed above, there will also be a performance by Johnny Paul Jason & Jeff Hart, the songwriting team from the excellent late-80s Raleigh band The Hanks.

Thursday, March 17
SLĂ€INTE! Paddy's Irish Cover Band Party
The Casbah, Durham

OK, it's probably fairly obvious, but this was originally conceived to showcase I Was Totally Destroying It's U2 tribute project, but they couldn't make it, so the Casbah pressed on anyway. So you'll get THIN LIZZY (by Decoration Ghost), STIFF LITTLE FINGERS (by The Bastages), THE POGUES (Magnolia Collective) and Karaoke.

Thursday, March 17
USA Baby
Yohimbe (http://www.myspace.com/partywithyohimbe)
Abraxis Jenks
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 17
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Pros & Cons
Chapel Hill Underground, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 17
Static Minds
The Royal Nites
Heron (http://www.reverbnation.com/heronrock)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, March 18 - Saturday, March 19
Chatham County Line (http://www.chathamcountyline.com/)
The Casbah, Durham

Both nights of this 2-night stand are sold out, but someone always can't go at the last minute. For instance, I don't have tickets for this show, but if I did it's a safe bet I'd wind up giving them away on Twitter the afternoon of the show.

Friday, March 18
Straight 8s (http://www.straight8s.com)
The Bo-Stevens (http://www.thebostevens.com/)
Thee Dirtybeats (http://www.myspace.com/ampsdofurnisharoom)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

It's being billed as a one-night capsule history of rock-n-roll, with the doghouse-bass-fueled rockabilly of the Straight 8s, the hard honky-tonk of the Bo-Stevens, and the 60s-vintage garage sounds of Thee Dirtybeats.

Friday, March 18
Once and Future Kings (http://www.myspace.com/onceandfuturekings)
Martha Ann Motel (http://www.myspace.com/marthaannmotel)
No Eyes (http://www.myspace.com/noeyesband)
Hustle, Hustle, Korea! (http://www.reverbnation.com/hustlehustlekorea)
Sam Robinson (http://www.reverbnation.com/samrobinsonguitar)
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, March 18
Randy Whitt (http://www.randywhitt.com/)
Studio Gangsters (http://www.myspace.com/studiogangsters)
Titanium Rex (http://jackwenberg.com/)
Burke (http://www.reverbnation.com/burkehilburn)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

All of this weekend's shows at the Cave are listed as "CAVEAID PA Party" which leads me to believe that the Cave's decrepit, permanently beer-sodden PA may have finally given up the ghost.

Friday, March 18
Kolyma (http://www.myspace.com/kolyma)
Systems
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 19
Polvo (http://www.southern.com/southern/band/POLVO/index.html)
Wild Wild Geese (http://www.myspace.com/wildwildgeesemusic)
Free Electric State (http://www.myspace.com/freeelectricstate)
Kings, Raleigh

Polvo came flying out of the gate when they reformed, playing a series of innovative & incendiary shows & releasing one of the best records of their career, In Prism. Since then they've slowed down a little, and this is their first local show since the tail-end of 2009 (really? that's what my database says, but that can't be right, can it?)

Saturday, March 19
Kerbloki (http://www.kerbloki.com/)
Motor Skills
Local 506, Chapel Hill

It's a reunion after a 2-3 year hiatus for local hip-hop crew Kerbloki, whose members have been busy opening Bowbarr and holding down the rhythm end of local stoner/sludge metallists Caltrop.

Saturday, March 19
Urban Sophisticates (http://www.urbansophisticates.com/)
The Beast
Big Hell (http://www.myspace.com/bighell)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

This is the party *after* the big afternoon/evening block party called Marry Durham.

Saturday, March 19
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Bright Young Things
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Great night for Beatlesy/Badfingery pop with an appealing scruff around the edges, from these two young-ish local bands (Huguenots from Carrboro, and Bright Young Things from Raleigh).

Saturday, March 19
Shipwrecker (http://www.myspace.com/shipwreckermuzak)
Wembley (http://www.myspace.com/wembleystadium)
Actual Persons (Living or Dead) (http://www.myspace.com/actualpersonslivingordead)
The Pinhook, Durham

EP release for the latest 4-song micro-epic from Wembley. There's no other band in North Carolina who sound anything like Wembley -- woozy yet elegant, breezy yet deeply emotionally resonant. Any year they manage to release a couplea songs is a good year indeed.

Saturday, March 19
Puritan Rodeo (http://www.thepuritanrodeoshow.blogspot.com/)
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Turntable Graveyard (http://www.reverbnation.com/turntablegraveyard)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

CAVEAID PA Party weekend continues.

Saturday, March 19
Savage Knights (http://www.retroactivedynamics.com)
Phantascist
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, March 20
Agalloch (http://www.myspace.com/agalloch)
Worm Ouroboros (http://www.myspace.com/wormouroboros)
Aerial Ruin (http://www.myspace.com/aerialruin)
Kings, Raleigh

Sunday, March 20
New Town Drunks (http://www.newtowndrunks.com/)
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

CAVEAID PA Party weekend crashes to a close with a buncha bangs, all in a row.

Monday, March 21
Minor Stars (http://www.myspace.com/minorstars)
The Wicked Tomorrow (http://www.thewickedtomorrow.com/)
Black Bells (http://www.myspace.com/blackbellsband)